Chapter 31

On their way to the peace talks, this time they stopped by one of Darius' many places to pick up a lycanthrope that worked for him

On their way to the peace talks, this time they stopped by one of Darius' many places to pick up a lycanthrope that worked for him. If any thoughts of Rush almost killing her slipped out and Caelan or Paul were around, things could get dicey. With how Rush had fled from her father last time, the last thing she needed was this postponed again. So, it had been decided that they would bring the Shade family's lycanthrope.

Walking around in any of Darius's many houses made her uneasy, as did the idea of meeting whatever lycanthrope they had on retainer. Ruprecht was a complete asshole who liked eyeing her body more than looking at her face, and Caelan wasn't exactly the staple representation of polite society. All of the lycanthropes she'd met were just unfriendly or too friendly.

So, when they entered the room and the first person she saw wasn't an unkempt mess of shaggy hair, she was pleasantly surprised. The man was tall, a little more so than Rush, but not bulky like Ruprecht or Caelan. Slim, in a neat, collared black shirt and with short-cut brown hair that closely hugged his head, the lycanthrope glanced over to her with eerie gold eyes.

"Remus. What can I do for you?" the man inquired politely, walking over to them.

On his approach, Mer scooted behind Rush to keep from his line of sight.

"Lyon, this is Meredith Aurion. I apologize, she is not fond of lycanthropes," Rush explained for her, and she glared at him from behind Rush's arms.

"I'm less fond of anything associated with Darius," Mer clarified, and Lyon smiled, showing off a deadly pair of canines.

"So, you're the Meredith Aurion. Darius spits profanities about you every chance I see him. Says you're an evil snake that has possessed his son." Lyon chuckled, and she stuck her tongue out at him.

"That's me," Mer agreed. "Though Rush prefers to call me a cobra."

"Lyon, I need to negotiate peace with the mages and the Arcs. They have a few Nothings there. My father appreciates caution when I observe it, so I'd like you to accompany me in case any of the Nothings attempt to harm me."

"Your father did say that he didn't trust this uneasy truce you have with them. Do you not trust it as well?" Lyon asked, and Rush shook his head.

"The Nothings will keep their word where diplomacy is involved. Where Meredith is concerned though, they may not. They are very protective of her, but I don't expect to need you to fight anyone. I would just prefer you to be a deterrent at my side."

"Sure thing, young master. Allow me to grab my things."

Mer had expecting to have to take a seat and wait, but Lyon only headed over to a coat rack and wrapped a long black scarf around his neck, barely disturbing his three inches of a narrow ponytail.

"I am ready now," he said.

Mer laughed. Like full on, rude as hell, guffawed like a drunk, fat Irishman. The way Lyon had worded it was as if him stopping to get his things was a burden, and all he had done was walk two feet to grab a scarf. Did the man really need to beg Rush's pardon for that? How overly polite.