Chapter 24

Expecting to be bulldozed, one moment the wolf was over her and the next, a burst of magic slammed into its chest and it was flung back

Expecting to be bulldozed, one moment the wolf was over her and the next, a burst of magic slammed into its chest and it was flung back. It wasn't dark magic, as everyone in the room used, so the source was not immediately obvious to her. Footsteps sounded until they stopped at her side, and she looked up to find Neil standing to her right.

"So, you can fight," Mer said more of in astonishment than a valid insult, but Neil sneered anyway.

"I don't like you, but you defended me. The least I can do is defend you from my father's pet." Neil whipped a spell with both of his hands as the lycanthrope picked himself up again. Though he trudged toward them with more caution, the lycanthrope took one blow and then another of magic that was invisible. One moment he was advancing, and then he was jerked back, advancing, and then jerked back again.

Wind Magic. That was why she couldn't see it. The magic was an invisible force. Neil didn't fight with the pure dark magic like Damien and Rush did. Still, the magic wasn't taking out the lycanthrope, merely pushing him back. Right now, Mer only had two hits of whatever she could conjure, one of dark, one of light, and she might need both for Vincent.

Caelan would be no help. Blood was pooled around his head from where it had collided with the concrete, and he wasn't moving. Hopefully, he wasn't dead. Dark creatures could take more than most, so she imagined that he wasn't, but the fear sank into her. Caelan hadn't done anything to deserve this. He wouldn't even be involved if she hadn't gone to Paul for help. Now he was leaking his life out onto the ground in some mage bunker, and she couldn't do anything to help him.

Would Damien share the same fate?

Fear permeated her as Neil spoke. "Ruprecht, what do you want?" His question stopped the lycanthropes advance. "I know you're only on retainer because you're paid. How much do you want to switch sides?"

The lycanthrope laughed. "Tiny vampire, you can't pay me to switch sides. I do have my respect as a mercenary, and I was paid for a job."

The lycanthrope smiling showed a horrible set of sharpened fangs on an already chiseled and hardened face. With a scar running from his right ear to under his eye, the man looked like a mercenary. Accompanying his shaggy unkempt black hair that ran to his shoulders, the man also hadn't seen a razor this morning, or yesterday.

"I will tell you what, I'll wait until your father is done fighting your servant to deal with you. My job is to eliminate any Nothings, and neither of you are one. Vincent would have to pay me a lot extra to kill a pretty girl anyway. Not my thing."

"Look somewhere else." Mer bristled as the lycanthrope trailed his gaze down her body and back up, licking his lips for effect. Ewwww. No thank you. That guy was twice her size and would break her like a toothpick if he embraced her.

"Well, you are scary as shit. I've never seen a girl melt two vampires without moving before, but still... I'd rock you any time, hun. Just call me." Making his hand into a phone, he bit his lip, and she narrowed her eyes at the guy she'd just been sure was going to spread her on the floor like fine cream cheese on a bagel.