10 | rubatosis

10 | rubatosis
the awareness of your own heart beat

dedicated to astoundedstars

THUMP

THUMP.

My hand made contact with Nathan's dark palm. The impact was hard, but the vampire didn't even wince as he enclosed his hand around my fist and twisted my body around until my back slammed into his body. I grunted, shutting my eyes as yet another of my attempts had done nothing more than make Nathan roll his eyes.

Damon, Sonoya, and Harry had disappeared from the hotel room to get lunch, leaving Hannah and I alone with the mysterious vampire who couldn't care less if I was alive or a rotting corpse. Of course, Nathan provided the much needed eye-candy both of us needed, but beyond his charismatic smile, there was nothing pleasant about the man. As soon as the others had left, he had insisted that we practiced self-defence to ensure we were prepared. If only he knew that we could never truly be prepared for something so mentally and physically damaging.

My skin tingled as I stood panting against Nathan's body. His grip was loose, and although he was barely exerting a muscle, he still effortlessly overpowered me.

"Cora," Nathan sighed after the fifteenth attempt I had had at unarming the man. He released me, and I gratefully stepped out of his warm grasp. "You're exposing too much of your body. You need to have a stronger base."

I split my legs further apart and bent my knees, eyes never leaving Nathan's face. He was the epitome of handsome, with slanted eyes and skin so perfect it shone with clarity. Before my compulsion, there was a definite possibility I could've liked him, but he had yet to show any concern for my wellbeing. If he had feelings for me like Hannah claimed he did, why did he insist that I was put in danger?

I sent a fist towards Nathan's face, but ducked at the last second as Nathan's hand shot towards mine. I used my leg to kick the vampire's own legs out from under him. Nathan didn't have time to regain his lost balance, and ended up on the floor with a frustrated expression on his face.