Chapter Eight: I'm Sorry

"I'm gonna kill that preppy bitch!" Jimmy roared, slamming his fists onto the concrete wall.

Long gone were the white clouds of radiance, replaced with solemn graphite shards piercing the sky. Even in the soft-filtered light, the expression on the teenager's face was unmissable. Eden frowned deeply, scanning his face for emotion. Anger. His knuckles were blanched white from how hard he was clenching them.

Anger is sadness in fight mode. Ready to pounce and attack, latch onto the nearest victim to implode upon. Resentment coursed through his veins like lit kerosene, igniting his blood and setting his heart ablaze. The thought of what Eden endured, sickened him. He was more mad at himself for not being there.

"Jimmy no, just please let him be," Her whisper came out in a croak, holding her own trembling hands. "Please, just stop..."

Jimmy faced her, eyes glazed with confusion, posture square to hers. The air was stiff and tense, a void of silence where unsaid words screamed. Birds chirped from afar, reminding the couple it was morning. It was a new day. Eden could feel him boring holes into the back of her head. She couldn't bear to face him, her dim emerald eyes studying every crack in the pavement.

"Bif hurt you, Eden," Jimmy pressed, stepping closer. "That little bitch deserves a beating."

"Anger will cost you far more than it will earn you," A hushed whisper, barely audible. "When you're in the moment, it might feel good. But... it can scar for a lifetime."

Her mind flickered back to Bif, lying on the cold gym floor. Bruises. Blood. She shook her head. 'No matter how much I tell myself he deserved it, regret gnaws at me like a savage lion. God, I haven't even told Gary. If this is how Jimmy reacted...'

"Fine... I'm gonna get changed. Wait here," The stocky teenager stomped towards the boy's dorm, pulling up his pyjama pants. "I was really in the mood to fight too."

Instant relief crashed over Eden. She couldn't resist the little thankful smile that crawled onto her lips, as she watched Jimmy leave. She sat down on the staircase leading up to the main building, crossing her legs. 'I'm not thinking straight. Gary's opinion is irrelevant. He's nothing more than a foul-mouthed, sociopathic little brat. Why do I keep trying to earn his approval then?'

"Eden!"

The sun-kissed and reddish hues that made up Eden's complexion, instantly drained. She was blanched a snowy white. She slowly looked over her shoulder. The shocked voice that spluttered out her name was Bif Taylor. His chest heaved up and down, trying to get his breath back. Her eyes trailed from his dishevelled hair, the reddened band-aid on his nose and the splotchy bruise on his jawline. Eden's face instantly hardened and she shot up, eager to get away from him.

"W-wait, please!" Bif grabbed her wrist.

"Get your hands off of me!" Her small voice strained out, fear and disgust filling every crevice in her body.

"Please wait, can I just explain?"

Her eyes narrowed up at him, shooting icy daggers straight into his soul. "Let me go."

"Will you listen?"

"Yes." She whispered, snatching her wrist free.

"Eden, I..." Bif's eyes couldn't keep still. "No matter how many times I tried to excuse what I did last night, nothing can. I made a mistake. A really, really bad one."

"You can't even begin to possibly excuse it. A mistake is an understatement." She snarled.

"Let me finish. You are honestly such an amazing girl Eden. I wasn't lying when I said there are no girls like you here at Bullworth. From the second I started talking to you, I knew that we connected. I knew that father made a good choice, hell I really liked you."