Prologue

I have been and always will be a firm believer that every story should start with a bit of foreshadowing. It draws the reader in. It gives them just enough insight of what is to come to keep them reading.

So, here's our foreshadow: if I would've known about you what I know now, I would've never talked to you that day in the bookstore. I would've never turned my head to you when you asked for help. In fact, I would've quit my job as soon as I heard your voice, walked away, and never looked back.

But of course, I couldn't do any of that because how could I have known?

Instead of ending it before it began, I have every second spent with you engraved in my head. They are etchings that burn and itch- a few that even feel light and fluttery- carved so deeply in me they left a trail of blood in their wake. Your hazel eyes, the ones that shifted from green to brown which I adored so much in the beginning but grew to fear. Your charm, the accent that I could never place and became trapped in when I learned its origin.

Your ability to make me smile, laugh, and love; all of which I would've never fallen victim to.

Why didn't I know, I ask myself over and over again.

Why didn't I know?

Why didn't I?

Because, I always simply reply as if it is the most obvious answer in the world, how could I have?

First, I was captivated by you. You came into my life as if you rode in on a whirlwind of a storm, fast and with little warning. I was ill prepared, but in the beginning, you weren't destructive at all. In fact, you were amazing. You were too good to be true. It's true like in nature that sometimes the most beautiful creatures are the ones you must look out for the most.

Then, you held me captive. You isolated me from all I had ever known and wouldn't let me go. You introduced me to the horrors that you had known all your life, only they weren't horrors to you. They were normal. To you, keeping me against my will was just.

Captivated and captive. Though they sound similar, they are two very different states to hold one in.

They can't coexist with each other. Captivity and captivation. Sometimes, words of very different meaning go great together, but in this case, they don't belong together at all.

They can't coexist within one person without destroying them.

So here is our story for you and I, and you and I alone. Well, this is my side of it at least. I'm sure that you see it in a much different light than me, but this is my complete and honest truth. I give it to you just as I gave you my heart.

Only this time, I hope you don't destroy it.

A/N: So the idea for this came to me in a dream a couple nights ago. I'm pretty excited for it. It'll get dark, but not so dark that I don't feel comfortable writing it. It's just going to be an adventure! Don't forget to vote and let me know what you think!