Thirty-Nine: Saved

The journey felt never ending. I stumbled over roots, scratched myself on branches, and blistered my feet in the well worn boots I wore. Still, even in the dark when I couldn't see far, I knew I couldn't slow.

Despite having a flashlight, it remained off as I opted to walk through the darkness instead. You said you'd lead everyone off my trail, but I was still scared the flashlight would shine too bright in this dark night. At least I had the full moon above to illuminate the way, even if the sight of it caused my stomach to churn after what happened two full moons ago. It was the same adverse reaction I had whenever I saw it was a new moon. It seemed to be especially big. A super moon. The biggest and brightest satellite in the sky. It was as though the Gods were angry, watching me close. I shook my head at the absurd thought, but those seedlings of doubt were still planted in my mind.

One thing was for sure, after all of this, I'd never look at the night sky the same.

My breaths labored. When was the last I walked so fast for so long? Adrenaline pushed me forward, but even that took a toll on me. I was careful to drink plenty of water and to have food in hand. You supplied me well, that was for sure. I just hoped you were doing okay as well. Even though I had much to worry about myself, the concern for you never left my mind in full.

Eventually, as you promised, the sky before me started to brighten and glow a subtle orange. It was morning. Walking through the night was such a blur, the darkness blending it all together. Seeing the growing light on the horizon filled me with a new hope. Since I didn't stop, I had to be getting close to the police station.

I kept moving forward.

So far, there was no sign of anyone. The wildlife was silent through the night other than the soft buzz of cicadas. Everything you told me was true. No one was after me. The animals left me alone. I walked toward the sunrise.

By the time the sun rose, I felt exposed in the dense forest. Suddenly I missed the security the darkness offered, the obscurity. This feeling of vulnerability became worse when I ran out of forest, the road taking its place. At first I felt joy seeing it, but then I realized that I'd be out in the open, and who knew how far from the town I was? You said I should reach it around sunrise, but I saw no sign of it. No houses or gas stations. Not even a literal sign.

I stood at the edge of the trees, still in cover, weighing my options. On one side of the road was the seemingly endless lake with no cover whatsoever. On the other side was an uphill slope of trees. I'd be walking on uneven footing the entire time, moving slower, but I'd have some protection. Still, if I wanted to be completely out of view, I'd have to go deeper in, possibility getting lost if I wasn't careful.

My heart raced at the situation. I had to be close. The one certainty was the more I continued to be indecisive, the more time I lost.

I had to choose.

So in a blind, tired panic, one where I wanted to be safe as soon as possible, I did the idiotic yet fastest way: I walked along the road near the water's edge, willing my feet to move as swift as possible. I began jogging but felt too exhausted and sick to my stomach to continue long. It was a gamble. I opted for speed over discrepancy.

The road was barren, but eventually I heard a single vehicle. From a combination of not sleeping in over 24 hours and the physical exertion, it didn't occur to me I should hide until the car was upon me, and by then it was too late.

Tires screeched and skid across the road. As the truck came to a sudden halt behind me, I knew I screwed up. I turned, my worst fears being realized at the sight of Bowden. "Evelyn?" He asked with surprise and agitation in his voice. He started to round the corner of his truck, trying to close the gap between us. "What are you doing out here?!"