Nine: Illusion

True to your word, things did change between us immensely, and really, I didn't know how to react to it other than to just go along for the ride.

Just as you said, when I woke up, the door to my room was no longer locked. I was hesitant to leave at first, thinking it could be some kind of trap, but you even said it would be unlocked. Besides, I was tired of being trapped in that tiny, barren room.

Although, the rest of the home was pretty barren, too. It didn't help that of the doors that were upstairs, only the one that led to my room was unlocked. So with nothing to do upstairs, I made my way down the creaky, wooden stairwell.

The house was on the darker side, with the only light source being a cloudy day outside through the small windows. It was definitely an older building, but it was still in decent shape. On the bottom floor from what I could see, there was a living area with a currently unused fireplace. There was a bigger, green patterned coach and a smaller matching one. Against the wall sat a very sad looking bookshelf. It was nearly empty, and what it did hold was some very old looking and untouched books.

There was also a kitchen area with older appliances, but they still worked, and a dining area which was mostly closed off from the kitchen. The dining table was complete with a table and 6 chairs, one which was occupied by you. The walls were plain, void of decoration, but it was livable. You were right about this house not being a home, and I knew for sure that I was in no rush to make this place a 'home' with you.

Looking up from the book you were reading, you smiled at my presence. "You're up sooner than I was expecting," you commented.

I took a seat at the table farthest from you. Your smile faltered for the slightest moment but then it was back. You were so good at wearing your mask. "I have trouble sleeping through the day," I shrugged. "It's nice, though."

You raised an eyebrow. "What is?"

"Being outside of that room," I smiled softly. "Thank you."

It was easier being around you with our new found compromise. I wasn't completely on guard knowing you promised not to make any advances on me. Things were still awkward and strange between us, but they were better than before.

"Of course. I must admit, I didn't like having to keep you there," you said as if you had no choice in the matter, but reflecting on it now, I guess you weren't always as in control as I thought you were. "It made it lonely down here."

Trust me, it was lonely for me, too. Much more agonizing as well. I smiled, but it was strained. Just play the part of a friend, I told myself. Just keep yourself out of that locked room.

When you put down the book you were reading so I could see the cover, I couldn't suppress my laugh. "The Scarlet Letter?" I questioned.

Never would I have thought that you would read a book like that. Not one that highlights the inequity and unfairness that women faced at that time, and in many ways, still do. A man could get away with an action while a woman would be ostracized and humiliated for the same one. The irony of it I almost couldn't handle.

Your cheeks turned slightly red. "You seemed to like it so I wanted to give it a shot," you confessed. "To be honest, though, I'm not following it all that well. You were right that it was too old for Rebecca."

Or maybe you just weren't following it because you didn't understand the issue of the entire book.

It was too humorous for me. "I am right most of the time, you know. I believe I've told you that before," I mused.

"When we first met," you confirmed with a nostalgic look in your eyes. Thinking back to that time made my heart lurch and ache. Before I could dwell on it too long, though, you slid the book across the table to me. "I relinquish this to you, the second of your collection. You'll enjoy it more than me."