CHAPTER 19

"What?" I spluttered, laughing, "Yeah and I'm the Queen of the Underworld! Seriously, who are you?"

"This isn't a joke, my child," She said, stepping closer.

I put my vamp face on and said, "I'm not one to mess with, lady. Let me ask again, who are you?"

"Why don't you believe me?" She asked, "I am your true mother!"

"Last I checked, I was raised by a good-for-nothing mother, Elizabeth Forbes, a runaway father all known as Bill Forbes and a backstabbing twin sister named Caroline," I stated, "You can't just meet me in a cemetery in the middle of the night and declare you're my mother,"

"If you just let me explain—"

"You have five minutes,"

She sighed and stepped forward, "Eighteen years ago, I slept with your father. I didn't know he was married. When I did, I found out I was pregnant. My siblings were not happy I slept with a mortal. I was so ashamed but I refused to abort you. When your birth came near, there was a rumor that Zeus wanted you dead. So, with the help of my sister, Hera, I gave birth here on earth. She gave me enough time to give birth and hide you before Zeus finds our location. Sweetheart, I had no choice. But, I came back for you,"

I gave out a nervous chuckle and said, "Let's uh...back-up a little. Zeus? Hera? Olympus? Are you telling me that Greek mythology isn't...made-up?"

"I can prove it to you," She stated. She never gave me a chance to reply as she opened her palm and crops grew where she stood. My jaw dropped at the sight and I stood there, speechless, staring at what she's done.

"This....is a lot to take in," I slowly said. I felt lightheaded and, fortunately, I heard Klaus screaming my name.

"Persephone!" He shouted, "What's taking so long?" I felt a gust of wind and, there, Klaus stood beside me, staring at my so-called Mother.

"Who are you?" He asked, wrapping his arm around my shoulders.

"My name's Demeter, Persephone's mother. You must be Niklaus," She stated, "I must say, I was looking forward to meeting you,"

"Funny," He muttered, "Spouting jokes now are we?"

"I assure you, I do not joke around," She said. She suddenly appeared in front of us and I almost fell back in surprise had Klaus not caught me. Klaus raised his arm but it stop mid-air as Demeter just stared at us with a smile on her face.

"I'm not here to hurt you," She assured us, "I've come here to see my daughter after eighteen years,"

"Well, you've seen her," He said, "It's time for us to leave. Come, Persephone,"

He walked away and I gave Demeter one last look before following Klaus.

"Don't you want to know more?" She called out, "You've yet to reach your true potential, my dear,"

"Klaus, wait!" I exclaimed, stopping Klaus from going any further.

"Don't tell me you believe her lies?" He snarled, coming towards me.

"She's not lying," I protested.

"And how do you know that?"

"Because I feel connected to her somehow," I confessed, "If she is lying, we kill her first hand but, if she is as who she says she is, then I say we give her a chance,"

"This is a bad idea, sweetheart," He warned.

"Please?" I begged, "Maybe there's more to me than what you see,"

"Fine, but you're not leaving my side." We turned to her and she patiently waits for what we have to say.

"No one leaves this cemetery until you explain yourself," Klaus stated, "One wrong move and I won't hesitate to have your head rolling on the floor,"

"Done."