Chapter 11 - A Three-Stage Recovery

(the artwork above does not belong to me!!

Sorry for the long chapter...)

Chapter 11 - A Three-Stage Recovery

The wind whistles pass with a warm and calming breeze. A small brown bird flies through the crisp blue sky, easily identified as no clouds are there to blend with its white underbelly. It flies down to rest softly on its nest in a tree, planted right outside of the wooden, two-story house. Of this house, on an upper levelled, square-shaped window, I sit peacefully and quietly while I watch the world turn in bliss.

My hair is let down around my shoulders, cascading down my back and torso, reaching easily to mid-thigh. I'm clad in a loose, black jumpsuit that is unzipped and hangs around my waist, allowing to show through a sky blue, short-sleeved top.

Today is the third out of an overall six days of our stay at the Rockbells'. The stay has been a pleasant one and hasn't been at all hectic. I'm using this work leave as a stress reliever and a time to collect myself, and my thoughts.

A radio softly whispers it's tune behind me inside the house. A melody of instruments and calming notes. No words come through, however; it's just an instrumental. As I listen to this tune, I peek inside the house a bit further to spot Winry productively on two separate limbs. She is working on two auto-mail arms, one currently in front of her face and the other barely being touched, sitting off to the side.

Edward has come in a few times here and there, just checking up on their progress, but soon after being kicked out by Winry. After that, he stays outside with Alphonse and Den as they are today. They either lay about on the grass while they watch the outdoor scenery, or talk about anything that comes to mind. In a basic description; they are making sure to stay out of the way.

Armstrong is also making good use of his strength and presence here, by cutting up some firewood for the family's use. But by the use of the word 'cutting', I really mean 'using his fists to somehow divide the wood up into equal wedges'. After all, he isn't called the Strong-arm Alchemist for nothing. I still keep my distance from him as much as I can though, like today; I am on the complete opposite side of the house and on the upper level, far away from the Major.

"Elleah!" Granny calls from downstairs. "Could you come down here?"

I turn myself and hop off my perch on the window. I take a glance at Winry who's focus is on the stairs. She looks up at me for a moment to give me a smile.

"She just needs to make sure we have everything ready." She explains. "I'm almost finished with your arm."

I nod my head to her and continue my way out the room and begin my descent of the stairs. When I arrive at the bottom, I peer around to take in my surroundings.

In the centre of the room lies a raised operating table, a baby blue sheet draped over its surface. Beside it is placed a wooden stool. Atop that is a tray with an assortment of items; tissues, ropes, a wet rag, a few screwdrivers and small bolts.

Granny Pinako beckons me over to the table by petting the cloth on it gently. I walk my way to her side before sliding myself onto the table. From there Pinako grabs the few coils of rope and begins to unravel them. She instructs me to move further onto the table and place my feet in her direction. I oblige her request and proceed as follows.

From across to the wall of the room, the door creeks it's way open, revealing two humble figures. The two boys walk through the opening in the place and observe the scene at hand; me having my feet, hand and torso tied down and secured to the table, the doings of which are from Granny Pinako - a sweet old lady at the best of times.