Chapter 16 - The Music-box Murderer

(pictures do not belong to me!)

Chapter 16 - The Music-box Murderer

"Who or what are you?" I ask hesitantly, readying my stance to perform a transmutation if required.

The armoured figure waltzes their way around the room while humming a slow tune, chilling me to the bone as I keep my eyes on them. Every pole they pass in the place they ignite a lantern on top until the room is half illuminated with dancing, blue flames. From this light, their full body can be seen.

The curvy armour walks towards me looking like it could accommodate a female of around 25 inside of it. It towers over me and giggles sadistically for the second time.

"Who am I?~" The presumed 'female' mimics my voice as she speaks. "I'm no.53. As for what am I?~ Well, that's for me to know-" She dips down in front of me as she grips a sword on her back. "And you to find out!" She swings the sword down above her head aimed directly down at me. I flip backwards in an attempt to get away from the blade and successfully stick the landing. 53 looks up at me with her katana embedded in the cement ground. "Ooh~ A fast one are we?"

I hold my ground and clap my hands. I touch the floor quickly and produce duel-wielding blades. With a huff, her sword comes swinging at me again. I take my swords in hand and block her attack, providing a few sparks from the clashing metal. We wrestle back and forth on the blades using sheer brute strength to back us up. Eventually, I manage to part our blades and push 53's aside, creating a resonating sound of metal sliding off metal.

I jump back a few steps and give myself a running start. I rush the armoured female and give her a kick to the chest, sending her back a few meters into the semi-shadows. As the wall makes contact with her metal shell, a resounding 'gong' is produced.

I straighten up and listen intently. "I know that sound... You're-" But before I can finish my statement, no.53 regains her footing and swings her katana horizontally across my chest. I jump back, and the blade just grazes my body. It slices the black fabric of my shirt and exposes the bottom of my bra and abdomen. I let out a small growl as I feel the tiny trickle of blood flow down my skin. The female cackles maliciously at her work on my body, before seeping back into the shadows like before.

The blue flames dim ever so slightly as I scan for the armoured person. I know what she is now, and there is no doubt that it will prove difficult to merely get her to lower her guard, let alone me being able to get a swing at her.

I close my eyes to listen, being as they are proving very ineffective in these circumstances. I listen for any movement, any noise, even just a quick breath will be enough. But I get nothing. She's silent - too silent. It's like the female is not even human. In truth, she may have been once upon a time, but it's evident now that she no longer lives in mortal flesh.

From the other side of the room soft humming is heard. The slow melody is mixed with metallic vibrating and cloth swishing. No.53 is right behind me, ready to attack while my back is turned. The blue lights flicker with a soft, yet unknown breeze. They sway back and forth as I wait for her to pounce.

"I know what you are," I state, growing impatient from standing in the dark for too long. "What I don't understand, though, is why someone like you is in a place like this. Why do you hide in these walls, shrouded in darkness?"

Giggles echo through the room before the woman speaks up. "You're a smart one for sure~!" She laughs. "I should have known someone would eventually come along and find us here."

'Us?' I think. 'There are more?'

"Our leaders were bound to leave some evidence behind. All that needed to happen next was for some unfortunate soul to come and dig up the Government's dirtiest secret." She comes into view from my right side and sheaths her katana, being protectively strapped on her back. "I'm No.53, once known as 'The Music-box Murderer'. I was the most feared serial killer of my time. I was known for my singing voice - you could say people were just 'dying' to hear it. I used to sing songs to my victims before relieving them of their lives. Oh~ those were such wondrous days. But, alas, all good things must come to an end." She places her hands on either side of her breastplate and unclips the sides slowly. "I was captured after a decade of running wild. They set me along death row until my date was due. When that day came, they pulled me along halls and down stairs, chains weighing me down. They lead me to a horrid place - a place cell-mates go to be executed. I was meant to die that day - but I didn't." The chest plate falls to the floor with an almighty 'crash', bouncing slightly before rolling gently to one side. Inside her hollow armour, right at the back, is a dark smearing of crimson blood. But it isn't just any normal splatter, no, this blood is shaped into a specific symbol - a blood seal. "They trapped me in this armour. I was 'given new life' as they said. I was assigned here to protect the secrets that dwell within these halls - as well as no.48 and no.66. I can only assume those other pests that you brought with you are fighting them right now."

I look up to the armour before me. "These others you speak of, are they as strong as you?" I ask, my voice hushed.

"They can only wish~ I am, by far, the strongest of them all."

I chuckle softly to myself. "Then I have nothing to fear. Edward and Alphonse may look weak, but I assure you they are not. Not once have I been able to beat Alphonse in a fight, and as for the little runt - I know that when it comes down to the wire, he will pull through for us."

53 scoffs at my remark, replacing her breastplate and drawing her blade once again from her back. "Lets only hope your little friends can hold up to such high expectations~."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~