Chapter 19 - Waking Up in Hospital

(art above is mine!!

Heads up; It's a bit of a 'long' chapter.)

Chapter 19 - Waking Up In Hospital

All I see is Darkness. That's it, just a never-ending place of black fabric and space. Although I wouldn't think myself to be, my body feels oddly warm. It feels almost as if someone is engulfing me in a warm embrace. It's comforting and soothing.

From the distance of this black void, not too far away, a small figure runs forward. I try and call out to the little person, but my lips are sealed shut. The character comes closer, running with a small spring in their step. They come closer and closer until they are right in front of me. Their face is slightly blurred, but I can just make out the shape of a small, button nose, large, round, sky blue eyes and thin, peach-pink lips. The child looks female, judging by the slenderness of the frame and the long skirt they are wearing. Her hair is light brown, styled into a cute bob cut, just brushing against her shoulders.

With a small giggle, the petite girl waves happily to me and runs off again. I watch her skip towards two, more significant figures, also with blurred and distorted faces. They look to be the child's parents - male and female if I had to guess. The girl flings herself into their arms with a small jump. The parents wrap their daughter up in a tight, loving embrace. They laugh and smile with each other, enjoying the moment in peace.

The little girl is eventually put back down onto the ground, stumbling slightly from still having the giggles. Once she stabilises herself, she looks back over her shoulder at me. From this distance, her face is more blurred, so much so that I can barely make out the faint smile she gives me.

Above the child, the two parents lift their heads in my direction. They look directly at me it seems, just like their child had done. But unlike their daughter, they aren't smiling. No, instead their mouths hang open slightly, almost not wanting to believe what they are seeing.

When I look closer at them, their faces become clearer. I squint a bit harder at them to make out the faces. Just as their looks come into focus, I'm plunged back into the darkness I saw before.

In the darkness, I sigh heavily - not audibly, mind you. I shift around slightly where I am laying - at least, I think I'm laying. I start to think more apparent than before, almost as if I have woken up from a long rest. As I move, I feel something yank at my left hand, pulling the skin a bit. Whatever is pulling against my hand feels cold and hard. It also feels to be small and slightly sharp as it feels like it is embedded in my vain.

I slowly but surly pry open my eyelids, immediately being hit by a blinding light afterwards. I shut them again to avoid this unwanted interference and softly groan with annoyance.

"Elleah?" A male voice whispers to me from a fair way to my right.

I open my eyes slightly again to look to the source of this familiar voice. Through my lashes, I make out the small shape of a boy sitting in a hospital bed beside me. I open my eyes further to look at his appearance.

"You're awake?" Edward asks with a semi-relieved sigh. "You looked almost dead lying there. The tubes don't help the look either."

I gaze to my left where Edward had indicated. There, slithering down from a drip raised above my head, are long, thin tubs of plastic. Some of the tubes lay underneath the covers wrapped tightly over me, while others are connected down on my flesh arm and hand. Through the tubes are poured clear doses of some therapeutic substance.

"I'm guessing we're not in the laboratory anymore," I state.

"I guess not," Edward responds, rubbing a fist groggily against one of his eyes. He looks as if he has just woken up from his slumber just like I. "No ones come in to check on us yet, so I haven't had the chance to ask any questions."