Chapter 24 - The Breaking Point

(A bit of a different lay out because I uploaded this from my computer - which I will be using from now on.

After this chapter, I will be going back to edit the currently uploaded chapters before continuing. I don't know exactly how long that will take, but it shouldn't take more then a month or so - depending on how busy I am with my other life.

Off topic slightly; I am currently in the process of drawing a piece of art for this chapter. So make sure to check back some time to see it!

Enjoy the chapter!)

Edward growls lowly as he stares down the bottle milk in front of him. "We meet again, Bastard!" He mumbles. Popped vanes start to appear over his face. "Aw, man! What's the big deal about milk anyway? I'm not drinking it and that's final!"

Unknown to the small boy, Alphonse hangs his head low as he listens to his older brother's next words.

"Do me a favour, Al, and drink this for me. Oh... But I guess you can't since you have that body..."

"...Big brother, you still have most of your original body - you need to take care of it. Just drink it." Comes Alphonse's blunt reply.

As Edward talk more - protesting the idea of taking the damned milk - I sneak closer to the table with all the hospital food sitting on it. Edward picks up a piece of food, closing his eyes as he raises it to his mouth. In a flash, I quickly take the bottle of milk from the table and hold it protective to my chest. What can I say? Unlike the midget, I enjoy drinking milk.

"I won't drink what I don't like." Edward continues. "And besides, I'm not gonna die just because I don't drink milk! I know it doesn't look like it, but I am growing. But everyone keeps calling me small!"

"That's because you are, midget." I bluntly state.

Edward's head shoots to me with a deadly glare. "Who are you calling a micro-"

"I never said that, dingus." I cut him off quickly with a flick of my hand, throwing a napkin off of his table and onto his face.

The older male growls for a moment or two, taking off the white material, before turning back to the conversation with his younger brother. "You know, Al... You're lucky you have a big body."

Just as those words leave his mouth, Alphonse bolts up in his seat and screams at his brother. "I never asked for this damn body!!"

The room goes silent, Winry, frozen in the doorstep that she has just come through, me, on the ground, a suspended milk bottle inches away from my lips, Alphonse, turning his back to his brother, and Edward, staring down at his food with saucer-shaped eyes.

"I never asked... We never asked for these damn bodies...!"

Edward looks up to his brother. "I... I'm sorry, Al." He apologises in a quiet voice. "...you're right. It's my fault that all of this happened. That's why I want to get you back to normal as soon as possible. I'm sure that's what Elleah wants for Marcus and Jacky, too."

I nod as I stand up from the floor.

"Is there really any guarantee that we can get our original bodies back?" Alphonse asks quietly.

"I'll get you back to normal. You've just gotta believe me!"

"'Believe' you!!?" Alphonse screeches back. "What am I supposed to believe in this empty shell of a body!!? According to alchemic theory, human beings are composed of a physical body, mind and soul! But has anyone ever verified that in an experiment!? Memories are nothing but data, when you really think about it. It should be possible to artificially construct them."