[17] wait, what?

When the bell rings, I take my time

I'm not sure if I want to talk to Archer.

I mean, I do. Of course I do.

But I don't want to know what he has to say. I feel like it's going to push us further apart.

Archer lingers behind me.

I throw my bag over my shoulder and look at him. Not really glaring. Just looking.

Just looking at his messy hair, the almost black circles under his grey eyes. My heart aches and I ignore it.

"You haven't been sleeping." I say. Wow. Way to point out the obvious, Kendra. Yippee.

"Uh. Yeah. But it doesn't matter. We need to talk." He says, running his hands through his hair self-consciously.

I nod and follow him out the door.

Enough drama.

I want him back. As a friend, of course.

I think.

"So. What is it?" I ask as we reach the outside of the class. He shakes his head.

"Let's walk." He says. I nod.

Why is this awkward? Tell me now, please.

"So, I know you think that I'm just dating Bree. I'm not." He stops momentarily and sighs, not looking at me.

"Continue, please." I say clearly. Things are finally being explained. He can't stop now.

He looks up.

"Yeah. So I don't like her. At all. But she-"

"What, you're just dating her for fun?" I guess savagely, even though I know he would never do that. His eyes widen and he shakes his head, and I feel horrible.

"No! No...I wouldn't do that. She...she practically blackmailed me." My eyes widen and my heart starts thumping.

What? What? What? What?

"What?" I say out loud. I'm so happy and confused right now. I just want to know. I just want things to go back to normal.

"She...she told me that if I didn't pretend to be her boyfriend for two weeks, she'd never stop being mean to you and embarrassing you like she did in the hallways. At least that's what she said. I think she wanted to get back at you." He scratches the back of his neck as he looks at me.