[22] you had me at bookstore

Word has gotten around

As I walk the hallways to get to my classes, some people are whispering and staring at me.

A few people I never even know have actually walked up to me and asked "You're dating the new guy?" And I always answer with "Yes, and he's kind of been in this school for a few months..." then I'm graced with the satisfaction of their awkward silence as I continue with my day, wondering for the hundredth time why people I don't know care so much.

I guess the only reason people call him "the new guy" is because they're not exactly sure what to call him. He's not popular, but he's not exactly...unpopular. I mean, people know who he is, obviously a lot of people have seen that picture Kit posted of him and her. I guess they've assumed they're somehow related. I don't know. And then that whole thing with Bree, the fake dating. I guess everyone knows about that. Bree didn't exactly try to hide it.

The thing is, Archer has no friends. At least not that I know of. I've never seen him hanging out with anyone. He's never introduced me to anyone either. He's just kind of there, I guess. To other people, I mean. Not to me.

We've been together for a week. He hasn't exactly asked me out on a date yet, but I think that's because he's still unsure. And I am too, but I won't admit it. Maybe he's still thinking about what I said last week, when I blurted out that whole run on sentence. I know I am.

I'm still nervous. Often I find myself wishing he had never asked me out, but that's what I want, and I got it. But I wish it wasn't so complicated.

I sigh as I walk into math, my last class.
I've never really hated it, but I don't like it either. It's not that hard for me, but it's just so boring and unreasonable. I am never going to need to know these kinds of things, unless I want to become a math teacher.

(Which I don't).

There's no one I really know in this class. Well, there's Noah, which I realized a few days ago-and then I felt really bad when I noticed he sits next to me-and Nikki. But I don't talk in this class, so no big deal.

"Alright, class. I know it's hot out and you want to go home, but I'm afraid we have to learn now." Mr. Jackson pauses, nodding slightly. "Tell you what, if you behave, I'll give you two days off. Sounds good, doesn't it?" He chuckles. I suppress and eye roll. Tomorrow's Saturday. He's not giving those days to us. I hate when teachers make that joke.

"Anyway" He begins, when he realizes that we don't appreciate him "today we're going to be starting a bit of final review. That's right! No more learning new things! You get to practice what you already know." I sigh. I barely remember any of it.

"Alright, get with your neighbors and I'll hand out our packets!" He says enthusiastically, picking up a stack of packets. I sigh quietly and look at Noah, who smiles a small, shy smile.