[18] the list, part one

The moment he shook my hand, I instantly regretted it

The moment he shook my hand, I instantly regretted it. I don't want to be just friends, but he probably does.

But he told me he was jealous when I was dating Brandon.

Maybe he meant, like, because we were talking and I was ignoring Archer? That's probably it.

"Earth to Kendra." Fingers snap in front of my face. I look up. It's Archer.

"Oh. Hi." I say, looking down at my lunch. It's the day after Archer and I made up.

Everything's back to normal.

I think.

Brandon keeps giving me dirty looks from across the lunchroom.

Bree is always staring at Archer.

I'm sure it's nothing.

I hope it's nothing.

"Oh, so did I tell you?" I ask. He furrows his brow.

"That depends on what it is." I roll my eyes.

"Obviously. Anyway, I'm not popular anymore. At least I'm out of the A-Squad."

He nods and chews his sandwich thoughtfully.

"What are you thinking about?" I ask.

He shrugs. "Do you really think our school's society should be dependent on a hierarchy based on popularity?" He says bravely, like I should know what he just said.

"Well, no. But what else should it be dependent on? Money? Job status? Amount of Barbie movies?" He grins.

"If that were the case, I'd be extremely popular." He says proudly.

"You shouldn't be proud of that." I laugh, shaking my head.

I turn to Brandon's table. Marcus nods in my direction and Brandon turns.

He scowls at me. I grin and wave.

That probably wasn't the best thing to do. I turn around quickly.

"I'm an idiot." I say, resting my forehead on my palm.

"That was kinda cruel, what you just did to Brandon." Archer says.

I scream aggressively into my hands and when I look up, Archer seems scared.

"I'm good now." I say, looking up and starting to eat my lunch.

"I doubt it. So, Kendra. Who are you?" Archer asks. "Now that you're not a soldier in Kit's army." I nod.

"Nice metaphor. And I'm not sure. I made a list the other day." I shrug. "There were two things on it."

He opens his bag and digs around, coming up with a pen and a notebook.

"Let's make another."

He flips to a blank page and writes KENDRA :) at the top.

"Okay. So what was on that list?" He asks, still looking down at his paper.