Chapter 8: Physics and Dreams

Every once in awhile, Spencer would meet with Alison Dilaurentis. They had been best friends all through middle school and then high school. Of course, Alison had her posse in high school, consisting of Jenna Marshall and Mona Vanderwaal, but Alison, surprisingly, stayed close with Spencer all at the same time. You see, the two both were very strong willed—they played the leader, and would not let themselves fall into any position that belittled them. They were best friends, but rivals. Middle school had been full of pointless drama regarding who was the "queen bee". Although, when high school came around, Spencer decided that Alison could have the position. She didn't want it. She was tired of the games—she didn't even really care who ran the halls, although she would not bow down to Alison. Nor would her friends. Alison, at first, was skeptical of this arrangement—Spencer Hastings backing down from a competition? It was unheard of! But eventually, the girl trusted her, and everything became fine and dandy between the two, possibly better than it had ever been before. Of course this arrangement didn't stop Spencer from becoming the president of her class and captain of her field hockey team. Alison, who had been on the field hockey team, also wishing to be captain, was pissed, but seemed to get over it about two weeks later. The girl had been dramatic, and obsessed with all things superficial, but she was the closest thing Spencer had to a real sister. Her biological one had never done it for her.

Now, Alison was different. She didn't care about popularity or any of those superficial things, like who wore the best clothes and who owned the newest designer purse. College changed her. She had grown up.

Spencer likes this Alison a lot more than the past one.

The blonde wraps her slender arms around Spencer, her blue eyes vibrant and celebrating. She still can't get used to the feeling of hugging Alison. It is strange and peculiar and unnatural. Throughout high school and middle school, Spencer had probably hugged the girl twice. She had been far off from affectionate. A warm smile crafted on her face towards someone was described as a monumental moment—even to her friends.

"I feel like I haven't seen you in forever!" she exclaims, her voice bubbly and energetic, like one of a five year old. She pulls away, but keeps her hands on her shoulders. "I'm so glad you could make it today!" she adds, taking a seat across from her.

They sit at an outdoor bistro—a place only Alison would know of. It is small and classical, overlooking a small harbor that lies along the Schuylkill River. The air around them is still warm from the summer heat, but beginning to chill. Breezes come in from the river, which sets the perfect temperature for wearing a sweater.

"So, how have you been?" Alison asks, holding up her menu, and scanning her eyes across it. She glances up at Spencer, waiting for answer to be delivered.

She doesn't say it like she is just saying it to be nice, she says it like she really cares, and Spencer likes that—she likes that Alison really cares, when in high school, she so obviously didn't.

"Good," Spencer murmurs, and for once, she really means it. Usually, whenever asks her how she is doing, she'll respond with the same word—fine. It is an initial reaction. Even if she isn't—it will just come out without thinking. It is an automatic reflex. But this time was different...she actually took the question to thought. And surprisingly, the answer wasn't negative, nor dishonest.

"One of my best friends is getting married—I'm her maid of honor," Spencer makes a face of woe before looking back to her menu.

A smile dances across the blonde's lips, "Oh. Do I know this person? Am I going to have to battle them for the title of your BFF?" she dips her head down, her eyes dazzling and joking, but curios.