ELEVEN

I turn to the sound of Victor's voice and grin

I turn to the sound of Victor's voice and grin. "Hey, Victor! Do you know Greg too?"

"You could say that," Victor replies through clenched teeth. "He was part of a huge drug ring that the Academy had to step in and help the police with. The JH-14 nearly overran the entire Ashley Waters High School."

"You went to my school?!" I squeal, excited about the thought.

"Yeah, Sang," Victor says, much softer now. "I didn't know you went there, though. But how do you know Greg?"

I roll my eyes, forgetting that I am wearing sunglasses. "Who do you think got the police involved in the first place? Certainly not the druggies."

Greg snorts at that. "Not to mention, I'm dating Jade, Sang's best friend and stylist."

"You know Jade?!" Victor gasps, with a twinge of... horror?

"Of course!" I answer, beaming. "She's so nice! Do you know her too?"

"Well, I think we might be talking about different Jade's..." Victor mutters.

Greg shakes his head says, "No, you're certainly not. Jade, the one that used to hang around North. And Silas. And Rocky. And the entire football team. She's changed."

"Changed?" Victor echoes dubiously.

Greg nods. "You wouldn't believe it."

"I don't," Victor mutters.

"Victor!" I gasp. "Jade is my best friend! I don't expect you to like her, but I do expect you to be civilized when speaking of her!"

"I'm sorry, Sang," Victor sighs. "I guess it has been a while since I last saw everyone. It's only natural that Jade and Greg would change."

Greg snorts and mutters something that I don't catch because he says it so quickly and the angle of his head, but Victor does. His heartbeat, barely audible over the noise of the mall, picks up and I can feel the anger rolling off of him.

"Sang, Gabriel is waiting for us," Victor says sharply. "We can take our food with us."

Biting my lip, I nod, realizing just how angry Victor is. I don't know what Greg said, but it didn't sound like an insult. I hope he didn't hurt Victor's feelings.

Victor takes my hand and gently leads me away from Greg and I give a quick wave goodbye to him. I notice that we are taking a different path out of the cafeteria than we took in, but that's probably because Gabriel moved on. Victor leads my hand to a bench.

"Here," He tells me. "We're right outside the store that Gabriel is in currently. We can eat here and meet him when he comes out."

I grin and say, "Thank you, Victor, for getting me lunch. Just make sure and keep the receipt so Father can pay you back."

"Sang," Victor sighs. "It's just mall food. I have more than enough money to pay for it."

"Victor," I sigh, mocking him slightly. "It's just money. We have more than enough to cover it. We could buy this entire chain of malls if we wanted. I don't want you to be wasting your money on me."