TWENTY-SIX

"Et aequum est mundos," I read slowly before guessing, "Latin?"

"Correct," Owen says with a twinge of pride in his voice that makes me stand just a bit straighter.

"Can you guess what it says?" Kota asks lightly.

"The something of worlds?" I try with a slight shrug.

"The fair of worlds," Corey corrects.

"Same," Grunts Raven out of instinct, causing us all to laugh, even Owen.

It still startles me everytime he laughs. They've been protecting me for about three weeks now and Owen is still slowly crawling out of his shell. We've moved around from safe house to safe house as we run from this threat and the new one.

Recently, I've been getting notes from a new person. A person promising safety, so long as I do exactly as instructed. They call themself Volto.

Right now, we are in Illinois, at one of the fairs there. It has it all: rides, carnival games, and food unhealthy enough to give North diabetes.

Together, we walk up to the ticket booth and Victor pays. While the attendant stamps our hands, I remind Victor once again to keep track of everything he pays for so I can pay him back.

"Sure thing, Darling," Victor tells me soothingly.

I sigh, "I don't mean to bug you about it. I just feel guilty. You shouldn't be paying for everything when I have more money than I can count. That's why it's important to me that you keep track and so I can pay you back for everything."

"I know, Sang," Victor says, but his voice seems kind of off.

I frown but don't have much time to dwell on it as the boys usher me in through the gates. The smell washes over me. Popcorn, oil, people, and so, so many more smells fill the place. People bustle about and screams are heard all over on the rides. The entire fair is alight with joy and a beautiful chaos. It seems alive, somehow, and it is beautiful.

A hand tugs at my wrist and I grin at Silas who pulls me along gently.

"Come on, you guys!" Luke exclaims. "I'm going on the Nodum!"

"What's that?" I ask them as we navigate our way through the crowd.

"It's one of the rides," Wil answers. "It's full of twisting turns and ups and downs."

"Don't worry, all the rides here are perfectly safe," North promises.

I nod in understanding. I bite my lip as we get in line and my nerves grow. It may be safe, but that doesn't mean it isn't scary. Clutching Silas' hand with my right hand, I pull down the brim of my hat even lower.

"I hate your hats," Gabriel grumbles.

"You picked them out, Meanie!" I reply, giggling.

Gabriel snorts, "Yeah, but that doesn't mean I have to like them. I hate that you have to wear those hats."