Day 62

Orange and red leaves fell around me.

They crunched under my boots.

The air was heavy with moisture and the lake I walked beside was blanketed with a silvery mist.

Aren't the trees beautiful? I had asked my dad when I was little, as he held my hand and we walked under the golden canopy. I'd held out my hand to try and catch the falling leaves.

They're dying, is all my dad replied before he caught a leaf himself and gave it to me.

Unlike the trees, spilling with glorious rich colors as they die, I was like a wilted weed: becoming brown, ugly, and wilted as I died.

I scuffed my boots against the dark dirt under my feet, hugging the brown coat tightly around me.

I finally sat down on one of the park benches.

The hard metal was cold and damp, instantly soaking through my jeans.

Someone had left their blue hoodie on the bench.

It was sopping wet.

They might have lost it earlier this morning before it rained.

They might have lost it a while ago.

Whatever the case, they never came back for it.

They abandoned it.

My dad lost his family a while ago.

My dad never came back for us.

My dad abandoned us.

A woman in a red scarf strolled past, walking her dog. A kid followed her, laughing and dancing around.

So filled with life and joy.

I turned my attention back to the blue hoodie.

It had looked so striking and contrasted against the reds, oranges, and yellows around it.

At the time, I didn't know it belonged to you.

I didn't know it would take me to you.

I didn't know anything.

I just grabbed hoodie and took it home with me that day.