10 | keys

CHAPTER TEN

KEYS

( — alicia keys; american singer-songwriter and musician. )

          MICHAELA IS BUSY

          MICHAELA IS BUSY.

          It doesn't take a genius to figure it out, as Selina can hear her type on a keyboard on her side of the line as she speaks, and she has heard about Serotinal Magazine and how selective it is regarding the people they hire. Michaela must have worked like hell to get the job, as it's not something that just gets handed out like candy, and she constantly delivers quality articles, ever since her old days at Union Daily.

          Besides, Michaela is pregnant.

          Selina remembers the early days of the media's coverage of her pregnancy, with several people arguing it couldn't be real because she simply wasn't showing, but Michaela is a small woman. She's a tiny, thin little thing, whose body wasn't suffering that many changes at first, but now, almost eight months into the pregnancy, it's perfectly clear it's pretty darn real, even if she's still, somehow, smaller than most.

           Thus, Selina really doesn't want to waste Michaela's precious time. She probably has a lot of things to do that are better than being on the phone with a radio talk show host from across the country, and it's not like Selina herself doesn't have to go back on air soon . . .

          "I'm working on a piece about inspirational people under thirty," Michaela informs, still typing. "It's a long article and it's due before the end of the year, but I want to send the invitations out as soon as possible just in case I'll have to use my backup plan." She inhales. "Here at Serotinal Magazine, we worry about representation and broadening our horizons; we want to celebrate diversity and ensure our readers can see themselves in what we publish, meaning our target population isn't just a specific group. Of course, we could be doing that, but it would get boring really quickly, and I don't have the time to be boring. Besides, I don't like feeling like dead weight. 

          "So, back to my article; my goal is to find various women of different backgrounds—ethnical, cultural, social, professional, you name it—and try and find out why they do what they do. It's very important to me and to Serotinal Magazine that our readers can feel hopeful and inspired by the people we write about and present to them, not just envious or intimidated in fear they'll never reach such high grounds. Somewhere, there will be a reader who will see themselves in the person they're reading about—maybe they share a dream, maybe they share a gender or sexual identity. Hopefully, it will show them that we're trying to open every door we can to grant them a better, brighter future, and they can accomplish their goals if they work towards them."

          Selina gulps. "And you want to interview me?"

          Michaela laughs, trying to make her relax, but Selina's heart rate never once slows down. It feels too good to be true. "Of course. Your talk show is pretty popular on this side of the country, in case you didn't know. Personally, I think you'd be a great addition, and I'm sure plenty of people would like to know more about all the work that goes on behind the scenes. By creating a name for yourself and making it your brand, you've given so many other people the strength and hope to, one day, follow your footsteps.