26 | adams

CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX

ADAMS

( — bryan adams; canadian singer, songwriter, record producer, guitarist, photographer, philanthropist, and activist. )

          WHAT IS SELINA SUPPOSED TO DO NOW?

          She was the one who said she and Remus have to talk, but, now that he's actually standing in front of her, determined to actually do it, all she wants to do is bolt out of the room and not do this.

          She knows it's for a good reason. After all, she's been trying to fix things ever since that phone call with her father and this is the first time Remus is giving her an opportunity to do so. However, it's a lot easier said than done, as her throat instantly dries up just by looking at him and realizing how close to each other they're standing. It's the closest they've been in months, which isn't necessarily a good thing.

          "So," Remus begins, setting his guitar back on the ground. Selina is thankful these walls are soundproof, which means Arielle can't hear her. She was thoughtful enough to pull down the blinds of the windows leading outside of the recording room, so they definitely won't be disturbed. "What is there to talk about? Am I finally getting an explanation as to why you completely changed your attitude, as if what we had meant nothing to you?"

          Selina takes a deep breath. She definitely didn't expect him to throw a punch like that so early into the conversation. "Yes. Something along those lines, I suppose."

          Remus sighs, sitting back down on the high stool he was previously occupying during the performance. "Fine, then. I'm all ears." Selina opens her mouth, searching for the right words to say—if there's even such a thing—but he raises a hand to prevent her from doing so. "Can I just ask—why did it take so long? Couldn't you have just told me this right away, two months ago? Why did we have to go through all of this?"

          She rubs her arms. "I had to figure some things out before I could talk to you. I only told you we needed to talk after I had the information I needed to make a proper decision. It was more complicated than I thought it would be and I didn't want to risk saying something stupid and making things even worse."

          She has mentioned her parents' history and failed marriage to him a few times before. She also knows he's not stupid and is clearly capable of putting two and two together, so it shouldn't be that hard to tell him the truth and pour her heart out to him.

          "I shouldn't have done what I did," Selina eventually admits, sitting on one of the desks. Her hands, pressed together between her bony knees, are still shaking and she knows it's not just thanks to the caffeine running through her system right now. "I understand I hurt you deeply, even though it was never my intention, but I'm not going to take that away from you. Not a day goes by without me regretting what I did to you and what I said. I was scared, Remus; I was scared of the uncertainty, of the possibility of history repeating itself and—"