16 | michael

CHAPTER SIXTEEN

MICHAEL

( — george michael; english singer, songwriter, record producer, and philanthropist who rose to fame as a member of the music duo wham! and later embarked on a solo career. )

          HOUSTON, THEY HAVE A MAJOR, MAJOR PROBLEM

          For starters, Michaela is about as stubborn as a mule, if not more, and Selina greatly fears for her own life and sanity. The only thing Michaela compromised on was to let Selina drive and the latter knows it's just because she's the only person in the building who a) isn't working and b) isn't in the middle of going into labor.

          (Not that there's anyone in the Serotinal Magazine building who has gone into labor besides Michaela Tate, but that's beside the point. The point is that this definitely isn't how Selina ever thought her trip to New York would go.)

          Michaela walks surprisingly quickly considering her current situation, with Selina struggling to keep up by stumbling over her own feet, in spite of her long legs. When Michaela storms out of her office, Jersey immediately stands up from her chair, startled, for the second time in one day, under eerily similar circumstances, but is ultimately ignored by her boss.

          "Michaela?" Jersey calls, twisting her hands in each other. "Are you okay? What's going on?"

          "I'm going to need you to do something for me," Michaela replies, never once stopping or looking back. Selina follows her, with Jersey's footsteps dully echoing behind them. "I need you to call Lincoln, tell him to grab my hospital gym bag, and drive all the way to the hospital."

          "Mich—"

          "I'm going to give birth to his daughter." Michaela presses the DOWN button by the elevator and Selina's heart hammers against her chest bones. She has no idea how Michaela is keeping her cool, seeming absolutely normal except for the occasional wincing, but other people could simply say she really needed to go to the bathroom, or something along those lines. "Watch him write an entire novel about that."

          Someone down the hall gasps. Michaela shoots finger guns towards them. Selina is very, very confused. The woman is in the process of giving birth to another human being, yet she still finds time to crack a joke or two.

          That's kind of the person Selina aspires to be, she's not going to lie.

          Jersey blabbers somewhere behind them, still talking to Lincoln on the phone, and, while Selina believes it's quite an interesting conversation, she's more focused on not letting Michaela fall or pass out. Her face is devoid of color by the time they step inside the elevator and, even though she's trying to shrug it off, pass it off like it's not that big of a deal, she has to lean against a wall to keep her balance.