24 | bareilles

CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR

BAREILLES

( — sara bareilles; american singer-songwriter and actress. )

          SELINA CALLS HER FATHER A WEEK LATER

          She doesn't know if she's doing it just to satisfy her morbid curiosity over something that happened nearly two decades ago and still finds a way of affecting her personal life or if it's because she wants to fix her own life, but she picks up the damn phone and dials her father's number.

          He's never been good at handling his phone, so she's not surprised that he doesn't pick up on the first try. There's also the possibility of him being so busy he can't afford to waste any time on such a trivial thing, so she's definitely willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

          However, when he doesn't answer or return her calls after three tries, spaced throughout the morning, a gnawing feeling of dread grows in the back of Selina's head. He could, at least, send her a quick text to know he's not available to talk, but all she has received so far is radio silence.

          By lunchtime, she's worried to the point of calling Jersey instead, thinking she might know what's going on. She'll also have to deal with a snarky comment or two, along with some accusations about ruining her own happiness or stuff she has spent the past month hearing, but it's what she has to do if she wants to reach her father.

          Exhaling deeply, Selina dials Jersey's number, proud that she has finally memorized it, and waits for her sister to pick up.

          "Hi, dumbass," Jersey greets, shortly after. "Can I help you?"

          "I suppose so." Selina leans back in her chair momentarily, ultimately deciding to stand up and walk towards the window. She has a great view, conserving how high up in the building she is, and the windows in her studios are a true blessing for those times when she needs to unwind. She stares out of the window, at the plenitude and restlessness of Los Angeles, spread out in front of her, and remembers how insignificant some things, some worries are in the greater spectrum. "How's Dad? I've spent the entire morning trying to call him, but he hasn't picked up. He hasn't returned any of my calls either, so I'm getting a bit worried."

          "I talked to him this morning, so I'm guessing he's okay. He just liked my newest Instagram post, so my guess is that he's ghosting you. Art imitates reality, doesn't it?"

          Selina huffs, drumming the fingers of her free hand against the window. "Can you please stop being sarcastic for once in your life? This is a serious issue. I need to talk to him as soon as possible."

         "Hmm." Jersey briefly pauses. "Is everything alright? Does it have to do with you know what?"

         "What are you talking about?"