chapter fifteen

Amber-

"Come on, push! You got this!" He says, as he coaches me.

I was too distracted. "Kai?" I say, tears in my eyes.

He bends down a bit and puts his hands on my face. He kisses me. I kiss back. He pulls away.

"You need to do this, Amber." Kai says.

He takes my hand, and I squeeze it so hard as I push. "The head is out, and everything is going smooth. You did the hard part, darling." She tells us.

Kai looks down. "Hey, eyes at my head." I joke.

"He's beautiful, Amber." He reassures me.

"It's a boy?" My mom says in the background.

Kai looks over and smiles at her. "You just need the shoulders, darling." The doctor reminds me. "Next contraction, you need to do a big push."

Pain started rising. Hands started squeezing. Head started sweating. It happened in slo-mo. My son pulling out and being set on my chest. Kai was crying. I was crying. Our little boy was crying. My mom was crying. I kiss his forehead. I already loved him so much. But I started to think. How did Kai get out of jail two weeks early? Is Jeremiah out early? Is Jeremiah the father of my baby? Or is Kai? Gosh, I hope it's Kai.

I hope it's Kai.

Kai went down to the cafeteria to get some food. My little baby was in his little crib next to me. I was in my comfortable hospital bed, catching up on bills. But mostly I was waiting for-

"Hey, there." The lady hands me the file.

A rush of emotions goes over me. It can't say Jeremiah. It just can't! What will I do? I'll find out if Kai was lying about sticking by me, but he had to be the dad! I was scared of Kai. But when he came and rescued me, I felt more safe and ever. He is my motivation. To mother this baby. To wake up in the morning. I just think of Kai.

It was just me, her, and my son in the quiet room. I open the folder. I read it. More emotions come over me. Kai walks in the room. He sees that I'm holding a Manila folder and I'm crying. He sits down on the chair and slumps down. I keep crying. The nurse who gave me the file felt too uncomfortable, she left.

Kai mans up and takes my hand.

"I'll be here through it all, Amber."