Chapter Twenty Nine

^^^No explanation needed. I love this song and it relates to Leo almost perfectly in this situation.

-One Week Later :)-

Max's POV:

One week has passed. It felt like only hours.

Leo and I are in a random room, laying right next to each other on the bed. He's hugging me tightly, both his arms wrapped around me. I cuddle him lovingly, trying to keep myself as close to him as inhumanly possible.

"I don't want you to go." Leo tells me softly, his voice shaky. I bite my lip and rest my head on his chest.

"I know. I don't want to go, but I have to." I reply, taking my hand in his. Five days ago, I told him about Setràkus Ra forcing Octavian to court me once we're on the Mariot. I told him that it'll probably be better if we just ended what we have, but he refused.

"Max, I don't care if we're two feet or two million miles away from each other. You are always going to be my one and only." He had said, and I just couldn't say no to his sad, puppy dog eyes. They're irresistible.

So we're still in a relationship. A long-distance relationship. A very, very long-distance relationship. And I have no idea what to do about the whole 'Octavian courting me' thing when I'm still in a relationship with Leo.

"Max, you don't have to go. Just stay here. We can finish this war." He tells me, turning to face me, his eyes wide and pleading.

"I'm sorry, Leo, but it's not just about us. It's about the whole world. We can't let anyone die because of us." I reply, placing my hand on his warm cheek. He purses his lips and nods his head, hugging me again. I hug him back and smile sadly at him.

"We can always Iris-message, and maybe the Mariot will take round trips to earth." I tease him. He chuckles softly and leans in to kiss me again. I immediately kiss him back, longing for this moment to last longer than it will.

When we pull away, there are tears in Leo's eyes. I can automatically feel some building behind mine as well.

"Maybe Setràkus Ra will let you come back for college. We could go together in New Rome and..." Leo starts but realizes he's rambling and quickly shuts up. I'm stunned, though. The way he said it makes it seem like he's already thought about this. Like he planned this out.

"What? What is it?" I ask him. He shakes his head, looking down at the bed.

"Nothing, I was just...thinking about a few things, when we started dating..." he trails off, looking back up at me with a sheepish smile. My eyes are wide as I think this over. Ever since we started dating, he's been thinking about going to college with me- where and probably exactly when. He's been thinking about a whole life with me, and I've just recently been thinking about having kids with him. I really don't deserve him, do I?

"Leo...that's..." Oh my gods. I'm speechless.

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have brought it up." Leo says quickly, his face red.

"No! No, it's- it's amazing. What's your plan? What do you want to do in New Rome?" I ask him. He freezes for a second, looking up at me as if waiting for me to tell him that I'm joking. I'm sure as Hades not.

"Really?" He questions. I nod my head, grabbing both his warm hands and intertwining our fingers. He smiles and looks deeply into my eyes. He takes a short breath before starting.

"Well." He starts, sitting straighter. "I was thinking about-"

"Max!" A voice interrupts him from outside the room. You've got to be kidding me right now.

I sigh in annoyance and glance back at the door behind me. I look back at Leo and he smiles warmly at me before standing up, still holding my hand, and walking out of the room with me. We're both smiling at each other the whole way to the living room.

Until we actually reach the living room.

Everyone's gathered there and one person catches my eye automatically.

Octavian.

Everyone glares at him as he stands in the center of the room. The moment he spots me, he looks down at the floor and gestures for me to come.

"It's time." He says. I look back up at Leo, his smile completely faded. He's staring at Octavian with a burning hatred, but it's quickly drowned out by sadness when he looks back down at me again. I glance back at Octavian.

"Uh, one second." I tell him, grabbing Leo's hand again and dragging him to a random bedroom. The moment I close the door and look back at him, my heart shatters.

He's on his knees, his head buried into his hands. I can hear him sobbing, his shoulders shaking. It's so painful and awful, I can barely manage to run up to him and hug him tightly.

He looks up at me, tears streaming down his face. I've seen him cry before, but never like this. Suddenly nothing else in the world matters right now. Just him.

"It's okay, Leo." I try to comfort him, hugging him tightly again. He shakes his head.

"I can't lose you." He tells me, his voice shaky as he hugs me back.

I feel tears streaming down my cheeks, and I don't bother to stop them. I can't lose him, either, but I have to.

"You'll be okay." I respond, my hands on his cheeks. He lets out a pained sob again, like a wounded dog.

"I love you." I tell him for the millionth time. Maybe one of the last times. He stares deeply into my eyes before responding.

"I love you, too."

That's the last thing I remember. Everything else is a blur. I hug and say goodbye to everyone individually.

I give Leo a final kiss. It's amazing and I would give anything to keep it that way forever. When we pull away, we stare at each other for what seems like minutes, just holding each other. It's stupidly perfect.

"I love you, Max." He whispers to me, his hands on my waist. I smile warmly at him as he blinks the tears away from his eyes.

"I love you, Leo. Forever." I whisper back, before finally walking out of the penthouse with Octavian for the last time.

I'm silent the whole time. We walk to the van parked by the thick tree from before. We get in and we're both silent for minutes before Octavian puts the key into the ignition and finally starts the car.

We drive away without a second glance.