The Return

The scent of wet earth and rotting leaves surrounded Amy as she made her way through a gloomy forest. She didn't remember how long she had been walking and somewhere deep inside she wondered if she was lost.

In the distance, a small, decrepit house loomed and a sense of relief washed over her. She hurried towards the building. All the windows were boarded up, but she could see light coming from between the cracks. Her fingers wrapped around the rusty doorknob and to her surprise the dwelling was unlocked. She stepped into the dimly lit room and locked the door behind her.

The place was dilapidated and the few lights that were on were covered with cobwebs, creating eerie shadows. On one side of the room stood a bed and on the other side a wooden table with four chairs. The back of the room had a door on both the right and the left side—they looked like closets, but Amy knew better.

She walked over to the left door and opened it. There was another door behind it that stood wide open, revealing a stone path that went down into the earth. The torches illuminating the stairwell created living shadows and a shiver ran up Amy's spine.

That's where they are, she thought grimly and closed the door. There was a big lock on it and she shifted the pin, ensuring that whatever was down there would not disturb her.

Breathing a sigh of relief she turned and walked to the door on the right. Behind it was a closed prison door with another stone passage down. She searched for the lock, but it was on the other side of the bars. Pointless or not, she reached for it and shifted it into the locked position. A bit frightened by the shadows that moved down the stairwell she quickly closed the outer door and walked back into the room.

I guess I will just have to wait, she thought as she moved to the bed. The frame creaked under her weight as she lay down on the stuffy mattress. With her heart pounding heavily in her chest she shut her eyes. Every few minutes she opened them slightly, peering into the dimly lit room before closing them again.

When her eyes fluttered open for the fourth time she saw a shadow in the corner of the room. For a moment her heart seemed to stutter, but as adrenaline flooded her system it started to beat faster and faster.

The person to whom the shadow belonged walked over to her, their gait rigid and staggering. The morbidly shaped head soon came into view and she realised it was a pig's head. The woman wearing it was naked aside from a bloodied skirt; her chest was smeared with so much blood Amy wasn't sure if it was hers or not.

The woman slowly came closer to the bed and the light reflected off a large, dirty butcher's knife. She held it in a deformed hand—the three fingers thick and short. Amy swallowed and gathered her courage as the monstrosity closed in. She took a few deep breaths before speaking without faltering, "Is Lucius home?"

The pig-lady stopped moving and tilted her ugly head sideways as if thinking. After a few seconds, she slowly shook her head no.

"Then I'll wait," Amy said and despite her fear, she closed her eyes again. She won't kill me, she thought, trying to calm her nerves. She wouldn't dare, knowing I'm here for Lucius.

A soft shuffling of feet indicated that the woman was moving away from her and Amy relaxed a little. The darkness of her shut eyes soothed her and she lost track of time.

A sudden knocking on the door startled her. The pig-lady rushed towards it, but her twisted hands weren't fit to unlock it. The way she trembled and moved her head frantically from left to right made it clear that she was panicking.

Amy sighed and stood up. She walked over and gently pushed the woman aside. "Let me—I've done this before." Without any trouble, she undid the lock and opened the door.

Her heart relocated to her throat as her eyes fell upon the tall, dark haired man. Behind him stood two other people, but the light from the room only illuminated him. She swallowed. Lucius.

"Amy," he said, surprise and happiness in his voice, "you've come home to me." He smiled broadly as he stepped into the room. 

~