nine: views

hi everyone :) happy valentine's day! sorry i'm so slow at updating i'll try to be faster, i hope you guys like this chapter

also. omg. this story is #1 in #tomdaya at the moment and that is absolutely insane to me but thank you ???!!!!!

ok ok i'll stop rambling. comment/favorite if you enjoy <3

__________________________

Before MJ could object, Peter practically leaps in excitement and runs into his room.

"I don't really have a problem with heights, but what do you want to show me?" MJ calls out, through Peter's closed door.

He opens it after a minute, completely dressed in his Spider-Man costume, complete with a backpack and his web shooters. "It's a surprise."

MJ raises an eyebrow. "If this is a joke—"

"—Come on, don't you trust me?"

"... If I die, it's on you." MJ responds, following Peter out onto his fire escape. She wraps her legs around his hips and her arms around the back of his neck, holding on for dear life, even though they haven't even started moving yet. "This is weird. This is so weird."

"Relax, I got you," Peter reassures her, before shooting his first web. Giving MJ a small nod, he swings.

MJ wanted to scream. She wanted to let go, and suddenly be back on the ground, but she couldn't find the strength to speak. Not while her stomach was dropping hard enough to make her want to throw up. She was afraid. Terrified. Yet she couldn't close her eyes, because even though she was paralyzed, she could still recognize the beauty of the city around her. Wind ripped through MJ's hair, but she didn't touch it, because she was too dead set on holding on to Peter. When he swung up, her hair covered her eyes, but when he swung down, her hair blew straight up, allowing her to get short glances of the city below. The sun was rising, the people were waking up, and she could see it all, from over Peter's shoulders.

The sky had a vibrant pink and orange glow to it as Peter stopped to take a breath. He hadn't anticipated how much extra force would be needed to swing himself and MJ. Nevertheless, they had arrived at their destination. It was the roof of some tall hotel building along the East River, and it had what Peter considered to be one of the best views.

"You... Can let go now." He breathes out, pulling off his mask, as MJ's grip tightens.

She lets go and stumbles off of him, shaking away all of the dizziness that came from being so high up. He drops his bag.

"Holy..." She whispers, her eyes scanning the river in the distance. The sun was reflecting off of it in such a way that everything looked shiny and golden. It was the best thing she's ever seen, and it's been here, the whole time.

"I used to come here a lot, before I knew about The Vulture, before any of that mess even started. I would come here to think; About everything. School, heroics, May, my friends, even my parents, sometimes. I'd sit here for hours before school, watching the city wake, and I'd sit here for hours after, watching it rest. You can hear the honking of cars, yeah, but they're so far away that it's faint, and it almost sounds nice. The cars aren't any less loud, you're just further away. The air is cleaner, filled with less smoke, and, I dunno, it just makes it feel so much easier to breathe, even though it's the same air that's down there. And that river down there is filthy, everyone knows that, but from up here... It couldn't look any less purified. Everything that happens down there is real, MJ, it's all real, but everything up here is an illusion. I wanted to bring something real up here. I wanted to bring you up here."