ten: confessions

thank you guys so much for 1k reads <3

______________________

If it wasn't for the gun aimed at his head, Peter would have already kicked the crap out of MJ's stepdad. But, he couldn't move. There were three armed men, and then the stepdad, so a total of four people who wanted to kill him.

However, there was no sign of MJ.

"Where's the girl?" Peter talks through his clenched teeth.

"How did you know we would be here? Did she call you?" The stepdad asks, stepping closer.

"Where is she?" Peter asks again.

"Gone. My men took her down to the basement a while ago."

Peter doesn't remember there being a basement. In fact, the entire building looked different than he remembers. Even before he had started drinking, he clearly remembers certain features that the room had, such as the bar, or the tables. Now, it was an empty warehouse. He begins to wonder if the whole thing had been a scam that MJ's stepdad had created to give her a false safe-place. A lair, hidden in plain sight. It would make sense to create it as a distraction for MJ, but why go through all that trouble if he's planning to kill her anyways? Peter knows there's more, but for now, he has to get to her. She's in danger, MJ is in danger.

Peter feels his eye twitch, and beads of sweat form on his hairline. Adrenaline. Sweeping his leg under the gunman, bullets start to ring out. But they're no match for Spider-man's spider-sense, which can shoot webs and block them before they even approach. He delivers a powerful kick to the man standing closest to him, and webs him to the wall, before sprinting backwards and wrapping his legs around the second man's neck. When he goes down, Peter webs him up, too.

Wait. Was that MJ?

Peter glances towards the basement door, where he swears he heard her cry out. But it was probably just his mind playing tricks on him. He's so focused on listening to hear if she's alright, when one of the remaining men fire a single bullet. It strikes him, passing completely through his arm, striking the wall behind him. Peter takes note of that, thankful that it wasn't stuck inside.

"Oh." He mumbles, watching his blood gush out. He turns to the man with the smoking gun, frowning, and shoots a net of web, kicking him as hard as he possibly could against the back wall, and then hitting him across the face for good measure.

"You have no business here. Leave now, while you still can, Spiderman." MJ's stepdad demands, backing away from Peter.

"Don't make empty threats, we both know you've already lost... There are so many ways that I could make you feel pain," Peter says, approaching the basement door as he walks away. It was locked. "But I don't think you want that. Am I wrong?"

MJ's stepdad shakes his head. Peter almost laughs at the fact that he thought he could get away with killing his own stepdaughter without attracting any attention.

"Then unlock the door and get out of my sight. Or I'll make you feel as much pain as you deserve to feel."

Sirens can be heard in the distance as he throws Peter the key and runs outside, and Peter knows Ned had called the police. He grins, hearing the slam of MJ's stepdad against the roof of a cop car is music to his ears. But that grin doesn't last long. Fumbling with the key, he slams open the basement door.

"MJ? Are you down here?"

He doesn't hear a response.

"MJ!?"