Chapter 4

The historian and physical educator spent the rest of the hour more like two friends hanging out than performing a required function. Jordan ran him through their stretching routine, cardio circuit and breathing exercises. It was while they were holding a stretch for their lower back that Buie explained to her what a MMA fighter was.

“And they got into a cage and beat each other up?”

“Yep,” the aged historian nodded. “There were rules of course but not many.”

“Wow, it’s so different than our society today. I don’t even know what I would do if there was a fight. I can’t even begin to imagine the disciplinary action I would have to take if two of my physical educators got into a confrontation.”

Buie released his stretch and sat up on the mat. “Your ‘physical educators’?”

Jordan mentally kicked herself for not sharing the news of her morning with her friend. But it had been good to shy away from the responsibility even if it was only for an hour. “Oh I’m so sorry Buie I forgot to tell you. I got promoted today!”

Jordan didn’t expect Buie to get up and start shouting in glee or give her a hug or offer another fist pound but she expected more than what she got.

Buie’s face grew dark as he cleared his throat, “Oh.”

“Oh? Come on Buie don’t sound too excited for me. I mean it’s not everyday a girl gets promoted to the head of the physical education department.”

“Oh yes, I’m sorry, Jordan. I mean congrats but—well, are you prepared for the position?”

Jordan fought down her pride at the question. Buie was the first person besides Counselor Carter to seem anything but happy for her. She expected something more than doubt out of someone she would call a friend.

Buie must have guessed her thoughts before she could say anything. He placed his hand on top of hers in a fatherly manner. “Jordan, don’t think that I am not happy for you or realize that this is a huge moment for you. I—there’s—did Robert say anything to you before he was relieved of his position?”

Pride began to recede as Jordan saw something more than doubt in her friend’s eyes. “No, like what? What are you talking about, Buie?”

       Buie looked around him before lowering his voice, “Jordan, you are playing a very dangerous game now. Robert came to me in confidence only a few days before with—concerns on how the city is being run.”

Jordan couldn’t believe her ears. Now it was her turn to look around the cardio room, ensuring no one was in hearing distance. “Buie, you need to stop. You need to stop talking like this before someone hears.”

Jordan was having trouble processing the turn of events. Buie had always been a bit eccentric but that was part of his personality. He was the little old man who took care of the city records, one expected him to be a bit off. But what he was talking about now went far beyond the charm of a mentor. What Buie was referring to now could get them both thrown out of the city.

“Jordan, you know me. I love you like a daughter. I wouldn’t be telling you this, putting you in this position unless it was absolutely important. They got rid of Robert because he was on to something. The past they would have us believe, the very history of our city and the world before is all a lie.”

Jordan could feel heat rising to her face. Her palms began to sweat. Her head was on a swivel looking from side to side to see if anyone was listening into their conversation.

“Buie, I’m sorry but this is too much.”

“But—“

“Please, Buie, stop. Not just for me but for you too. Maybe you’ve had a long day, or you’re confused or, I don’t know but please, just stop.”

Buie licked his lips slowly nodding, “Okay, Jordan, but when you’re ready to know, I’m here for you.”

Jordan had had enough. Rising to her feet she looked at the far wall and the digital clock that read five pm. “Looks like we’re done with our session today. It’s the weekend so make sure to follow your diet plan. You’ve been doing great, if you can, try and get in some kind of cardio over the weekend even if it’s a short walk.”

Buie rose to his feet giving Jordan a sad look. A look she hated. A look that said he was sorry for her. “I will, Jordan. Thank you. I’ll see you on Monday. Be safe.”

Buie left nothing but frustration and questions in his wake. Jordan stood in the cardio room watching him go with arms crossed over her rising chest. No, stop it Jordan. No questions. No doubts. Buie is a nice old man who is telling you stories about fist pounds and men fighting in cages. That’s all. You don’t need to indulge him further with listening to stories that will get you both thrown outside the city walls.