Chapter 6

Jordan smoothed down her long black slacks as she approached the waiting vehicle. She had only ever seen the transportation machine from the outside. Citizens were required to walk wherever they went to promote health and wellness. The vehicle was reserved for high ranking officials like Director Patterson or to transport the city’s security team to and from the wall when there was a release.

Jordan tingled with excitement as she brushed back a strand of dark hair behind her ear. The vehicle was long and black with dark windows all around so those inside could see out but those outside couldn’t see past the glass.

The city’s inhabitants walked by on the sidewalk, most either stopping to admire the hovering machine or turning a head as they passed to wonder who was on the other side of the window.

Oh, maybe I should have asked to be assigned a new dress or suit. Should I have worn a dress? Am I too formal?

But it was too late. Jordan was approaching the dark vehicle that hummed as it hovered inches off the ground. She caught a reflection of herself in the glass as she met the vehicle. The dark suit she was wearing hugged her body without a wrinkle or piece of lint to ruin her appearance. She had worn the slightest bit of makeup and wrestled her hair straight.

Before she had a chance to second guess her appearance for the hundredth time, the door to the vehicle opened and a smiling Director Patterson extended a hand. “Miss Shepherd, you look very nice. Please come in.”

Jordan shook the offered hand, stepping inside the vehicle’s dark interior. The inside of the vehicle was larger than it looked from the street. Dark leather seats were on every side with a small bar and food area set in the middle. Dim lights lined overhead offering the slightest glow. Jordan stooped as she entered the vehicle and took a seat, sinking into one of the comfortable couches.

“Jordan, it is good to see you again,” Holly said with a smile.

Jordan was shocked not only to see the Counselor there, but also to see a smile on her face. “Oh, Counselor, so good to see you again as well. I didn’t know you were coming—but I’m glad you’re here.”

Holly nodded with another smile as the Director pushed a small button near his seat and spoke into the intercom. “We are ready to go.”

There was no answer but the vehicle rose a few inches slowly from the ground. Next it moved forward sending a feeling in the pit of Jordan’s stomach that told her she probably shouldn’t have eaten dinner so close to her departure time.

“Don’t worry,” the Director said, “You’ll get used to it. As head of the physical education department you’ll have the authority to use a vehicle whenever you deem fit. Perks of the job.”

Jordan smiled, although she wasn’t sure if she would want to ride in the moving piece of metal again. It was smooth but to her having never been in a moving object before, it felt anything but safe.

The Director and Counselor chatted away, politely including Jordan in their conversation although she expected they could have had the same conversation without her.

Jordan was having trouble listening to them talk as the city began to fall away behind them and the vehicle picked up speed. It was only a matter of minutes in the hovering vehicle before tall buildings and green parks gave way to an open landscape bare of any life.

The city was built on a perfect square of ground, six miles by six miles. The housing units for all the citizens were located directly in the center of the city ensuring that everything was walking distance. Whatever a citizen needed or wanted could be found within a three mile walk.

Everything outside of the city was plain and flat. Dark brown dirt extended on either side of the lonely road in all directions as far as the eye could see.

“Isn’t that right Jordan? Jordan?”

“Oh, I’m so sorry. What was that?”

“Ahhh… I forget,” the Director said, “It’s your first time outside of the city limits correct?”

Jordan nodded.

“I still remember my first trip. Don’t worry they’ll become easier,” Holly said.

“Drink?” The Director asked.

“Please,” Holly said.

“Yes, thank you,” Jordan said. She watched as the Director poured a few varying shades of liquid from expensive looking glass bottles into drinking glasses.

The Director handed one to each woman and held his up for a toast. “To Jordan’s hard work paying off in the form of a promotion and the bright future that lays ahead of her and our city.”

Jordan blushed and clinked glasses with Holly and the Director. As she brought the cup to her lips the strong smell of alcohol stung her nostrils. “Is this? Is this alcohol?”

Holly looked at her as if she were from another plant not offering to give her an answer.

“Why yes, Jordan,” the Director said as he sipped on his own drink. “What else would it be?”

Under Holly and the Director’s careful gaze Jordan took a tentative sip. It was far and away the worst thing that she had ever put in her mouth. The liquid stung her taste buds and burned as it made it’s way down her throat and into her already queasy stomach.

“How is it?” the Director asked.

“Oh, great,” Jordan lied, “I think my stomach is just a bit touchy from the ride. But I thought alcohol was banned?”

“Oh Jordan, you have a lot to learn,” Holly said from her seat. She placed her nearly empty glass down and reached under the small bar that was stationed in the vehicle. Her hand disappeared for a moment but then came back with another banned item, a cigarette.

As a physical educator Jordan knew better than most what items both food and other were banned. Both alcohol and cigarettes fell into that category. It had been decided long before that for citizens to meet their goals they would have to stay as healthy as possible. Thus things like alcohol and cigarettes were banned from use.

Holly put the cigarette to her lips, produced a lighter from her suit jacket pocket lighting the opposite end. A thin line of smoke rose from the cigarette as Holly inhaled. The dull ember on the cigarette’s lit end flared to life. An exhale produced a plum, of smoke that wafted in the vehicle’s interior and rose to the ceiling.

The Director gave Holly a disapproving look as he lowered a window and let the thick smoke escape. “I know it is a lot to take in, Jordan. But think of it as a reward for getting to this level. We have served our city loyally and now as long as we moderate ourselves we are able to indulge a little in our vices.”

Jordan produced a smile that she hoped looked real enough. It was too soon to form a decision on what she thought of the city’s leaders actions, but it certainly wasn’t what she expected.

Before anymore banned items could be flaunted in front of her, lights made themselves visible in the distance. The sun had made its final descent leaving the world outside of the hovering vehicle void and bleak. The only illumination came from the vehicle’s headlights and bright road lights that were placed on either side of the street every few yards.

The dark night made the approaching lights seem that much brighter. A structure soon loomed out of the darkness in front of a wall that made Jordan’s heart stop.