Chapter 2

"Everyone, quiet down, before we begin class we have a new student who transferred in to introduce."

The teacher waved her arms, trying to get everyone's attention until the general noise of the room quieted to a dull roar. There were a few moments of initial silence, however shortly after her announcement the class all began talking loudly, speculating amongst themselves about who would transfer in during the last year of school

"We're getting a new student?!" Erin's best friend Olivia rubbed her hands together excitedly. "Think of all the money I could make if I get the scoop on their story and sell it around!"

"Don't bother them." Erin muttered in reply, rolling her eyes at her friend's money obsessed strategies. She glanced around uncomfortably at the class, noticing that a few students who had been at the practice grounds yesterday were looking sidelong at her.

No, there's ten different classes at our level, even if he transferred in, there's no way my luck is that bad... Just as Erin was thinking this, however, a familiar young man walked into the room.

"Hello everyone!" Gerald waved cheerfully at the class, causing many in the class to sigh in admiration. Erin buried her head in her hands wondering if it was too late to call in sick for the day.

He wouldn't mention the proposal thing again in class right?

The teacher smiled at the new arrival. "Hello there, welcome to our class. Please introduce yourself."

Gerald squared his shoulders, making a bow towards the class. "I am Prince Geraldo de Riciancia of the Ellurine Alliance." He straightened up, contrasting the previous formal gesture with a casual grin. "Feel free to call me Gerald though."

"Alright Gerald, is there anything you would like to tell the class about yourself? Perhaps a goal that you wish to accomplish?" The teacher prodded the new student, making Erin groan in frustration.

Please don't say to get married to me... please don't say to get married to me....

"To learn as much as I can, and apply it when I return home, and make my nation stronger and more prosperous." Gerald's serious expression startled Erin, who had been viewing him as a fairly silly person.

I guess I judged him to quickly. She thought ruefully. I can't believe I was so conceited as to think he would declare he wanted to marry me in front of the class...

"And of course my other goal is to marry Erin and bring her back to my country as the strongest bride in the history of the Ellurine Alliance!" He was smiling again, looking at Erin with bright, innocent gaze.

Kill me now. Erin put her head down on her desk, trying to ignore the stares and exclamations of all the surrounding students.

"Umm... How... straightforward, Gerald... Why don't you have a seat, and we'll get started with class." The teacher was obviously confused at Gerald's declaration of his intentions, but trying to move past it. Gerald nodded and moved forward to sit down at the empty seat between Erin and Olivia.

"You witch! How dare you get engaged to a handsome prince and not even tell me! I'm cutting you off!" Olivia pouted as she studied Gerald with a curious gaze.

"We're not engaged, Olivia." Erin sighed as she spoke, rubbing her forehead.

"Not yet at least! But I haven't given up yet. Now... Olivia, was it?" Gerald chimed in, reaching out to grasp the smaller girl's hand. "Are you a friend of my future wife?"

She looked slightly dazed as she took his hand in her own and shook it. "Best friend, actually."

"So I have to do my best to get on your good side then!"