Chapter 6

At Olivia's urgent message, Gerald and Erin rushed over to the magical theory building.

As they moved, Erin couldn't help but have the nagging feeling that they were being watched. She looked around, trying to keep her expression neutral. The path was well lit, with multiple lamps on either side keeping the area bright in a pale blue light, but just a few feet beyond the cobblestone under their feet was darkness. Despite her attempts to peer into it, she could see nothing. Getting more nervous, Erin kept her guard up as they walked, almost jumping out of her skin when she felt a gentle hand on her shoulder.

"What's wrong?" Gerald's quiet voice in her ear immediately gave her a sense of calm.

"I feel like someone's watching us out there, but it's too dark. Even with physical reinforcement of my vision I can't see anyone."

"..."Gerald paused, and Erin felt a brief flash of embarrassment. What if she was just being paranoid? Before she could worry too much, he whispered again.

"Any particular direction?"

The last bit of tension left Erin as she realized he believed her. "To the left and partly behind us."

He nodded. "Okay, give me a minute." He seemed to be focusing inward, his steps becoming less coordinated. Concerned, Erin grabbed his arm and helped to keep him walking in a straight line.

Finally he shook his head, as if to clear it. "It's Wilhemina."

"You're sure?"

Gerald thought it over before nodding. "Level 4 wind, level 3 fire, level 1 Illusion... unless there's another student running around with the exact same powers."

Erin cursed. "Seriously, does she have nothing better to do than to follow us around?"

"You assume she is following us, and not out here for other reasons..."

"Like student attack reasons?"

Gerald shook his head. "I'm not so sure, but it's probably not good."

He glanced down at her and chuckled briefly, causing her to frown.

"What's so funny?" She followed his gaze and realized she was still holding onto his arm from where she had grabbed on to stabilize him earlier. Flushing, she let go and walked in front of him, hurrying to the magical theory building. Gerald silently followed behind her, a cheerful smile on his face.

They arrived at the location Olivia had called for them. In the light of the lanterns, they could make out a small, still form on the ground, wearing a female student uniform. Olivia knelt next to the victim, a gentle palm glowing in a pale healing light resting on their forehead. Her face was uncharacteristically grim, as she carefully studied the unconscious student. Erin caught sight of a silver sparkle around her neck, reflecting the magical lights around the walkway. Coming closer, she could see it was actually several silver chains with crystal pendants, swaying back and forth in the evening breeze. Olivia tucked them back into the collar of her uniform with a casual gesture, and looked up at the two new arrivals.

"It's the same as before." She shook her head sadly, looking at the young girl lying silently on the ground. "All of her powers are gone."

Gerald stepped closer, his face strangely blank. "What were her abilities?"

"I'm not sure." Olivia shrugged. "We can probably check their records. Why does it matter?"

"..." Gerald was staring off into the distance and didn't answer.

Uncomfortable, Erin knelt down by the other girl to study the latest victim. She was younger, likely 14 or 15 in age, her eyes closed. She almost could have been mistaken for someone simply sleeping, if there wasn't a sense of wrongness hanging over her. Erin shook her head. She didn't have any insight ability, but it was clear that the girl was drained of her powers, just like the other boy a month ago.