Chapter 3

"Are you okay?"

Erin barely registered the words through the pain in her head and shoulder. She pried open her eyes and looked up at an extremely worried looking Gerald. She forced a small smile, trying to comfort him, but if anything it seemed to make him more anxious than reassured.

"I'm okay... I think." She glanced around, wincing at the sharp pains behind her eyes at the movement. "Do you hear ringing?"

"Let me help you up." Pale, Gerald carefully reached down, supporting her back and legs and lifting her up into the air. Erin kicked her feet, and reached over to lightly smack him on the shoulder.

"Hey, I can walk you know, you can put me down!"

Gerald grinned at her, and Erin felt her heart skip a few beats at the expression.

It must be because we're so close together. Their faces were only inches apart, making her acutely aware of his earnest gaze. She looked away, ignoring the light blush that burned her cheeks and ears.

"Erin?" his voice was soft.

She continued to look away. "Yes?"

"Thank you for saving me." Startled at his words, she turned back to see his warm, grateful smile. "If you hadn't pushed me down at the last minute, I'd be toast!"

Erin chuckled nervously. "Anyone would have done the same."

"But they didn't... you did." Gerald's arms around her tightened in a light hug, before gently setting her feet back on the ground. "Are you okay to stand?"

"Should be..." She honestly felt a little off balance, her head and shoulder still hurting. She reached out a hand and steadied herself on his shoulder.

"Take your time." Sighing with relief, he looked around the practice field. "Where's Olivia? I want to ask her to come heal you."

"Probably went to go see where that student was attacked. She's one of the best healers in the academy, despite being a student."

"... Does she have any other abilities?" Gerald's voice sounded a little strained. Erin looked up at him, but his face was turned away so she couldn't make out his expression.

"No, just a level 1 wind magic. But her healing abilities are rare enough to secure her a high ranking in the school." She laughed. "Why? Thinking about switching potential marriage partners?"

He shook his head. "Of course not. You've already saved my life, you can't get rid of me so easily." He sighed. "You've already got me convinced that you'll be a perfect wife for me, though. No need to put your life in danger anymore. Now I just need to figure out how to convince you I'm strong enough to be a good husband..."

"That's not..." Erin started to correct him, but was interrupted by a loud scream.

Glancing at each other in shock, they hurried towards the dorms where a large crowd had gathered. They slipped between the gathered students, only to face the small clearing where a young boy lay silent and pale on the path. Olivia knelt next to him, a hand hovering over his face, a wrinkled expression on her brow.

"It's not an illness. At least, not one that I've ever seen. It feels more like..." She hesitated. "Almost as if all of his powers have been drained."

There were multiple gasps from the crowd, one girl falling down as her legs collapsed beneath her. An older woman walked over, and hearing the words from Olivia, paused before waving her hand and lifting the boy with wind magic.

It was Lady Belanna, one of the strongest knights in the kingdom and the headmistress of St. Julienne's Academy.

"Alright everyone, please return to your dorms. Outdoor practice will be cancelled until further notice. When attending lessons or meals, please be with your roommate or a friend at all times. No one is to walk outside alone until this issue has been resolved. Do I make myself clear?"