Chapter 7

At Wilhemina's declaration, all the students standing near Erin stood several steps back, leaving her in a space standing by herself. Surprised, angry, she looked up at the student council vice president, shaking her head.

"I haven't..."

"OF COURSE you're going to deny it!" Wilhemina interrupted, laughing. "But if you look at the facts, I think it's easy to see just how obvious of a trail you've left behind." She stepped down from the stage, the students parting to make a path for her as she moved closer to Erin, finally stopping just a few feet away. Her smile was cruel as she lifted a finger to point in Erin's face.

"Normally I wouldn't have done this so publically. But I have a duty to my fellow students to protect them from danger, and if the administration is going to ignore you because of your powerful relatives, then my only choice is to expose you for the devious criminal you are!"

At the girl's self-righteous tone Erin felt her blood boil. Her magical power surged within her, a ringing in her ears beginning as the growing magic pressed up against the restriction spell. She wanted nothing more than to reach forward and crush the girl in front of her.

It would be so easy to destroy her.

She wouldn't even have time to realize how she died.

As she stood there, struggling, she felt a hand rest softly on her shoulder, and a familiar voice spoke out, breaking her from her angry spiral.

"If you are willing to declare this so publically, I assume you have hard evidence of wrongdoing?"

Gerald's voice was so cold the surrounding students took another step back, trying to distance themselves from the two. Between Erin's terrifying aura and Gerald's glare, even Wilhemina felt the pressure and wanted to retreat. Breaking out in a cold sweat, she stepped forward, her smile a little more forced.

"It's simple:" She counted off on her fingers. "First, the only person who would benefit in this school from stealing level 3 fire powers is someone who has lesser abilities. In this school, admission criteria are high, there is only one student who has all abilities under level 3." She chuckled. "In fact, despite being in your period of growth, you have yet to increase your power by even a single level, isn't that right, Erin?"

The murmuring of the surrounding students grew louder, Erin felt more than one angry stare on her back.

"Second, despite her only having level 1 powers, she was able to strike a blow to Frederick several weeks ago, knocking him down. This would take considerably more power than she is known to have."

Her eyes looked over at Gerald, and her grin widened. "And the final proof is you yourself, prince. Upon meeting her, what was the first thing you said? That she was the most powerful student in this academy, right?"

"But that..." Gerald tried to break in, but Wilhemina would not let him talk.

"Not even you can explain away how a student with only level 1 abilities can suddenly be the most powerful student in the academy... unless she is stealing powers from her fellow students."

The murmurs around her had grown into angry shouts. Erin shook her head, realizing she had no hope of convincing them in this atmosphere. She looked her accuser in the eye, making the other girl grow pale.

"Wilhemina, you and I both know that I am not behind these. You can continue take advantage of this situation now, and spread these lies, but just know this:"

She stepped forward, only inches separating them now. When she finally spoke, it was just loud enough for the two of them to hear. "When the time comes, and the truth comes to light, I will remember to repay my debts. And you won't be able to afford the cost."