Chapter 8

"What are you talking about?"

Olivia's face was pale, her eyes wide with fear. She swallowed uncomfortably, taking a step away from Erin.

Erin followed her, moving until less than a foot of distance was left between them.

"I should have seen it sooner. Maybe I did. I saw the signs, but I ignored them, because I didn't want it to be true, because I couldn't believe it even if I tried." She sighed, rubbing her neck, wishing she could cry. "Gerald knew it. He didn't want to tell me. He hinted at it, talked around it. In the end he just handed me the means to prove it without saying a word." She gestured at the dust that was all that was left of the level 2 wind artifact.

"So now, here we are. You know me, better than anyone else in this place. We've watched out for each other, helped each other, cared for each other. So there's no reason for lies, excuses or talking around the issue."

"Erin..." Olivia's eyes were red, shining with unshed tears.

"So I'll repeat my question one more time, Olivia:" Erin swallowed, wiping away her own tears. "What. Have. You. Done?"

Olivia backed away, shaking her head slowly.

"You won't understand. You can't. Since day one we've been treated differently. You've had everything handed to you. Even without powers your position in this academy has always been secure. You never had to worry about you or your loved one losing their life just because you didn't do well on a test. But me..." Her hands balled into fists, her face becoming angry. "I had to fight every single day for my place here. If I don't keep my scholarship, I lose my chance at a future in healing, lose my brother a chance at a normal life. I have to protect my family. If that means staining my hands... doing the dirty work for someone else..."

"Hurting other people?" Erin's question was quiet, but in the cool night air, it felt like she was shouting.

Olivia sighed. "Not all of us get to be the hero, Erin. I can't rebel, can't speak my mind, can't protect other people. I can only save me and my family. Going against her... It's as good as killing my brother off with my own hands. "

"Olivia..." Erin reached out, but the other girl backed away, staying just out of reach.

"No... just... stay out of this. There's nothing you can do. Not for me, Not for him... not even for yourself." She met Erin's gaze, tears running down her cheeks. "We're all trapped in her schemes now. We just have to survive the best we can."

"Wait..." Erin couldn't finish the sentence before she was struck with a grade 4 wind spell, pushing her off her feet, knocking the wind out of her. By the time she struggled to her knees, the other girl had already used physical reinforcement magic and wind magic to race far beyond what Erin could see.

"No!" She pounded her fist on the ground, frustration and pain welling up within her. Why did it have to be Olivia?!!!

She pulled out the golden chain around her neck, rubbing her thumb against the blood red stone attached. Closing her eyes, focusing within, Erin activated the artifact, a grim smile forming on her face as a location appeared within her mind.

Good thing Gerald thought to give this to me.

He was being kept in one the buildings along the outer edge of the forest that surrounded the academy. Often used for storing spare tools, it was isolated, rarely opened... perfect for hiding a kidnapped prince.

She mentally reached within herself, frowning as the all too familiar ringing in her ears started as the restriction spell prevented a smooth flow of magic. Her aunt was right, the spell was cracked, breaking apart at the seams. If she kept pushing...