28

"What..what on earth are you talking about?"

"Don't play dumb with me. I know you hated her from the start."

"How can I hate her? I barely even know her!" Your voice had started off at a normal volume, but as frustration grows, the level of your voice rises to match.

A half-laugh escapes his lips, a sound the borders between amusement and annoyance. To him, your words are mere fabrications he has no desire to believe in.

"Don't give me that crap. We went to the same school together!" He bursts out in the moment of frustration. "Back then, all Kira ever wanted was a friend. But what did you do instead? You harassed her. Made her life a living hell—she'd come to me crying every time that happened. Then she left. And that's all.because.of.you."

He jabs a finger against your chest with every hateful word.

"You're pathetic, Y/n." He grits. "I wish I never knew you."

A moment of stillness fills the space around you. You find yourself lost in memories of the past, reliving moments and events that led to the breaking point of your friendship. Suddenly, all the pieces come together, and you see it all with clarity.

"You believed her." It's barely a whisper.

All this time, he made you think everything was your fault. And the irony about it is that you were ready to take the blame.

But.

The anger he has for you aren't his. She just easily made him believe it was his own.

Now that you think about it, you recall the younger version of him always elated whenever she'd showed up.

Kira filled the spot that was once yours. In other words, she was there for him.

And where were you?

You were distracted with school. You spent most of your time with your new friends.

And then he was left to believe you were the reason the person he had grown so fond off, left.

Would you look at that? Your eyes' watering.

"I didn't at first." He admits. "Not until I saw it for myself."

While desperately holding back the flood of emotions threatening to overtake you, you wipe your cheek.

"I-I'm sorry." You swallow, laughing. But instead of a normal laughter of happiness, it's the sound of unrestrained joy finally breaking free from years of repression. However, there's a deep sadness in that sound as well, a bittersweet feeling.

"I'm sorry I let Kira get close to you. Had I known she'd end up manipulating you, I'd have punched her a long time ago." You sigh, finally gathering the strength to look him in the eye.

You don't know what lies she's been telling him.

But if all that led to this? Then you can only assume the worse.

"All those things she told you? I never did them. I never harassed her. You out of all people should know I'm that type of person. I won't force you to believe me though. That's your choice. This time, I just hope you'll trust in the friendship we had rather than in someone you've only known for a short time."

Seeing as to how he remains silent, you take that as your cue to leave. Even when mom calls you to dinner, you ignore her and run straight to your room.

And after locking the door, you let your emotions swallow you whole.

A few days later

"Thank you so much for agreeing to take care of Jaeden, sweetie."

Jaeden claps his little hand as Mrs Jeon passes him to you. You can't help but scrunch your nose as you lean in to join his happy bubble.

"So help yourself with anything in the fridge. There's money in the counter in case you want something else. Oh and the boys aren't home. Jisung joined some Mathematics competition so he's representing for his school. Give mommy a kiss aden." She gives Jaeden a kiss on the cheek, who in return lets out the cutest gummy smile. "I'll see you two later."

And she's gone.

You spend the following hours entertaining the little bundle of joy until he fell asleep. You place him in the crib beside the couch, gently moving him from your arms to the bed. He makes a little cry but patting his back thankfully brings him back to sleep.

Without anything to do, you decide watch a movie.

After scrolling through the list, something finally captures your attention. You click on that and immediately have it in the lowest volume as to not wake up the baby.

A wave of lethargy begins creeping up your body and your eyes begins to close. Next thing you know, you're already fast asleep.

Not a moment later, the front door opens and Jungkook tosses his bag to the side. He enters the kitchen first to grab a drink and then proceeds to his room.

He notices that no one's home. After taking a shower, he throws on fresh clothes and descends to the living room where he sees the television turned on.

That means you're here.

Before anything else, he approaches the crib and checks on his brother. He puts his finger an inch away from his nose, watching closely for any movement.

The little baby's stomach rises and a gentle breath meets his skin.

Turning, he finds you fast asleep on the couch and is unable to stop himself from recalling what had happened last time.

With careful steps, he takes a sit on the floor and presses his back against the edge of the couch. You're facing the screen, hand tucked under a cushion.

He can't seem to take his eyes off you.

Since that day, he couldn't stop thinking about what you said.

About how everything he believed in, was a lie.

When he brought it up to Kira, he hoped she'd tell him that you were right and that this was all just a misunderstanding. He wasn't given the response he wanted though.

She reminded him again of her past hardships but then ended up saying the strangest thing.

"But we were just kids then. Things have changed and I think the best thing for us to do now is forgive her and move on."

Forgive you. How could he do that when you're denying you did any of that?

He lets out a sigh, fingers brushing a hair away to reveal a pair of slightly parted pink lips.

The once rosy chubby cheeks has now taken on a more refined appearance as you've grown older, exuding a youthful, peach-like glow.

From up close, he notices the delicate curve of your lashes and can't help but admire the faint beauty mark that once caused you so much insecurity when you were younger.

He's never taken the opportunity to truly examine your features before. Until now.

Were you always this pretty?