The Finder's Shard [6]

Chapter Six
A Favour

Nox

Nox paced The Broken Chalice's hallways back and forth, eyebrows drawn heavily into his face. He had been teetering for the last twenty minutes between knocking on Lanna's door or leaving her be, twisting a slim box between his fingers as he did.

"She's probably already asleep," Nox told himself. But still he felt uneasy, remembering how quiet and sullen she had been since their visit to the markets that afternoon. He thought about how as soon as they had gotten back to the inn, she had excused herself and ran upstairs before Nox could even object. He couldn't help but wonder in his own room after if he had played a role in her sudden sour behaviour. Were his jokes too much? Had he upset her?

The constant nagging thoughts had Nox up and out of his room and running to the markets just in time before they closed. He combed the smithy's jewels until he found the necklace Lanna had earlier pointed out, the glistening golden locket.

Nox stopped in his tracks before her door and felt his grip on the jewellery box tighten. "This is stupid," he muttered in distaste. "I don't even know her that well. Why should I care if she's upset?"

But it would be a lie to say he didn't care. Nox was growing to like Lanna. She was a little odd at times and often very secretive. Sometimes he would catch her deep in thought, her brows drawn tight together as if deeply bothered. But she was also not afraid to laugh and banter, tease him as much as he found himself teasing her. In those moments, he had fun, and having fun wasn't something Nox did often.

He settled on a decision. As Nox's hand reached out to rasp thrice on the door, it swung open to his surprise. Before him stood Lanna in her perfumed, new clothes and her hair pulled back behind her ears. Her bag, new to replace her old tattered one, hung from her shoulder, packed large.

"Going somewhere?" Nox asked, his voice dropping low. It wasn't what he was intending to start with, the question seeming unfriendly. Lanna shrugged her bag off and placed it by the doorframe. Then she turned her sharp eyes onto Nox and crossed her arms.

"What do you care?" she replied, a scoff to her tone. She looked around in the hall. "What are you doing here?"

Nox felt heat rush to his cheeks. He cleared his throat awkwardly. Why was this proving difficult? He was right that she was in a bad mood.

"A gift," he said, holding out the blue jewellery box. "I probably crossed a line this afternoon..."

Lanna quizzically looked to the box in his hand. "I don't understand," she said, her voice laced with suspicion. "You've been crossing the 'line' since I first met you."

"I saved you from thieves when we first met," Nox said, taken aback. "How is that crossing a line?"

"Bandits," Lanna stubbornly corrected. She was so hung up on that distinction for some reason. Nox waved it away.

"Whatever. This is just to make sure you're okay."

Lanna tilted her head, giving Nox a rather scrutinising look. "Things are a little complicated right now," she sighed. "And I appreciate the sentiment but I'm fine. I can handle my problems myself."

"Just because you can, doesn't mean you have to..."

The young woman laughed. "That's a line you picked up from Alderyth, isn't it?"

Nox rolled his eyes. "All the more reason you should listen. Don't tackle things on your own if you don't have to. Despite what you may think, I'm pretty dependable. If you can't figure something out... Well maybe I can. I'm willing to listen." Nox cleared his throat and averted his gaze. "We could go for a drink down at the bar if you want. Talk it out."