Chapter 6: Renit

Arego, a village once full of hope and life, is nothing more than empty stone buildings melting into the crisp ocean breeze. The wind cuts through the streets that Renit walks through, viewing the destruction he caused along with a group of other witches. At the time, he hadn't cared what would happen to the village. Viewing it now, Renit realizes every mistake he's ever made.

He swallows, and that sound alone seems to ricochet in the silence. His stomach twists itself into knots as he passes every stone building that is now charred and ruined because of what he did. Leaning down to brush his fingers against a crack in the middle of the street, Renit realizes this is where he tried to kill her. It had been a split-second decision once his power caught wind of where she was. Out of the rage he felt for this mission, scheduled around the time he planned to mourn Darlene, he wanted to kill her.

The village is nothing more than a wasteland. Some buildings are charred to ash, the wooden structures constructed by her father's hands. A man Renit never got the chance to appreciate, considering he played a major role in getting him killed. That's the only thing he can't give back to Roux, the lives of her parents.

Even when he was a prince, underneath the protection of his father with as much money as the castle riches would allow, Renit couldn't bring them back. With every second, his extended reach towards her slowly slips farther and farther away until she's merely a shadow in his thoughts.

His power, not open to being used in such an empty place, comes to life in his palm. An emptiness surrounds the lightning, as if that, too, is searching for Roux. But she won't be there, not anytime soon, so Renit pulls a secure lid over his power to ignore the longing they both share. Apparently, their powers became as intertwined as their souls.

A flicker of that power remains without Renit's control. It results from his Outbursts, a fickle occurrence in witches that won't go away until a proper Grounding has settled and two witches practice the process of connecting those two powers together. They never got the chance to do so.

His power sparks to life in his palm once more, but it doesn't remain with the banished prince. Instead, it flutters forward, sparks leaking into the street and heading in a direction of their own. Renit furrows his brows as he watches his power take shape, a manifest of white sparks vibrating in a sphere, leaking lightning from the very surface.

It's searching for something. Roux. This time, he forces a stronger lid on his power and it disappears as his annoyance rises. There's nothing he can do. He should've been there for her.

Renit's power rages inside his chest, demanding a release, but he clenches his fists tightly into his palm, nails digging into his skin. All he can hope is that Silas is looking over her now, she appears to be well enough after their brief encounter in the slums.

It had tempted him to snatch her right there, but the expression of demise in her eyes prevented him from moving. There is nothing left of the witch he grew to care for, couldn't find a single thing. And when she came at him with a sword, nothing but pure determination clouding her every move, Renit knew he had to leave.

Roux had seen him though. Had realized he was still alive. And it's likely she crafted a search team of her own to cut him down, whether or not in the capital. That's why he came here, to a place she would never think of checking. Somewhere, deep in her heart, she doesn't want to return to the village he demolished. Part of her is still healing from watching her home go up in flames.

While scouring the outskirts of the village, Renit stops in an alleyway upon spotting a white piece of parchment. Half of it is submerged in water from previous storms, and the rest is flimsy from the salted, ocean air. The banished prince, trying to find anything in his life worth meaning, releases a shuddered breath as he realizes what he holds.