Chapter 31: Roux

Palms flat on the wooden table in front of me, I stare down at the Edogrith Battlefield map, the camps, the watchtowers, the battlefield, and the entire landscape of charred land towards the southern part of the continent. The Esaria docks are towards the north of the land, not to be confused with the Saebia docks towards the southern half, too far of a journey for our ship to make. And too dangerous, considering we'd be circling around enemy territory.

Saebia is an empire of strong witches and humans, but their ratio of strength is more diverse than the king of Esaria has allowed his kingdom to become. They've been a threat to the south for generations, rising through the ranks by conquering land after land, their emperor being nearly as old as the king himself and, by this time, having more control on his plate.

The king stands opposite to me, staring down at that map. Binx, he monitors the ocean from the windows and takes a small break from the arguments we've had since this meeting gathered. Our difference in opinion often gets the best of him, he doesn't like to be wrong—but that's where we are.

He wants to attack the southern tower on the Saebia battlegrounds and pick apart their army, piece by piece. That will exhaust resources—soldiers, supplies, weapons, food—everything the battlements don't have a decent stock of. While the king doesn't want to spend months on the battlefield, slowly circling around the battlefield to attack from behind, he's asked for my opinion on the matter.

Basically...don't agree to Binx's plan.

"Get back over here," I order him.

Binx purses his lips together and through ways of stomping, appears back at my side with a huff through his nose. I'll deal with his attitude later; for now, we need to focus on the battle we'll be getting ourselves into. "If you haven't put any more thought into taking the safe route, we've made no progress," he retorts.

Even the king shakes his head at that. "If you can afford to exhaust resources, by all means, attack the southern tower. But, as I am king and don't have those resources readily available, we're going to go with a different plan," he growls. "We've been fighting this war for years, it's time to end it. You should know that most of all, soldier. You fought here."

"As I have." Binx clears his throat. I hear the unspoken truth to his words, revealing that he did fight here and knows the best route to go through if we plan to win this. Slow and steady wins the race—or the war. "Roux has a plan, at least it's on the tip of her tongue."

I can't tell whether there's anger or pride in his voice. He scoots away from me, standing on the opposite corner of the table to stare down at the map and cock his head to the side. Glaring at him through lowered brows, I wait for him to meet my eye but, am instead met by the dark hairline of tight curls. He knows my attention is there, yet he won't grant it.

"Fine," I say, clicking my tongue against the roof of my mouth. "We'll dock on the Esaria side of the battlements. We have the choice to either go around the woods or through them; if the soldiers in the northern tower have done their job, then we won't have a problem with getting through inconspicuously." I point at the nestle of woods close to the Esaria docks, just south of where our ship will meet its end across the ocean.

"That leaves us out in the open once we clear the woods. The only thing between us and the war camp is the station." The king points at the tower on the map, meant to hold any member of royalty or high standards in the war. Commanders, generals, witches of the highest power. They don't slum it in the war camp with the soldiers, they're given the benefits of royalty.

I suck on a tooth and tap my finger against the war camp symbol. "We'll get a better feel of the battlements if we go to the camp. If we plan on winning this, we need to be with the soldiers and provide them with a sense of urgency. They're likely exhausted and spent, if you show their face, they'll be willing to fight." Palms still pressed on the table, I look over at my king and wait for his response.