11

Greenery festoons the great hall, scattered rose petals adorn the floor, and delicious delicacies stack high on the tables. Musicians play in one corner, entertainers perform in another, and a magician confounds in the third.

"Have you ever seen anything so wonderful? I will dance until morning." Margit disappears into the crowd, her mask's tall feathers moving above the sea of heads like a dorsal fin.

Nobody notices me. I am lost in a whirl of color and noise. Invisible amid the spectacle of glittering fabric and colorful feathers. Unseen among the whimsical masks and elaborate costumes that encourage flirtation and seduction.

Then I see him.

Prince Vlad wears a tall red-patterned turban adorned with a large oval gem and a single white ostrich plume. His mask is striking, its black cruel-angled lines an intimidating bit of sculpted clay.

Prince Vlad casts his gaze my way and I move forward, my grin concealed under the yasmak.

He turns his back.

His obvious disgust at my costume twists like a blade in my gut. Blinking back tears, I pivot on my heels. What is wrong with me? What does it matter what he thinks of my costume? I am betrothed. Unavailable. I square my shoulders, take a deep breath, and look for family and friends.

I join several ladies gushing over Aunt Orsulya's costume.

"It's scandalous," purrs Zsazsa as she casts an admiring eye towards the men's breeches complete with over-sized leather codpiece.

"It's wonderful." I tug on the false beard glued to Aunt Orsulya's masculine mask.

That evening, Prince Vlad avoids me. His rejection hangs like a heavy cloak from my shoulders, weighing down my feet as I dance with nobles and dignitaries. I recall Bernádett's cautionary words about Prince Vlad and his toying with young maidens' affections. Tonight I am inclined to believe her.

"Your costume is bewitching," a familiar voice says behind me. "There is nothing more alluring than lips that can only be kissed by a lover brave enough to lift the veil."

My heart leaps but I neither move nor reply.

"Have I mistaken the wearer of this costume?" Vlad Dracula circles around me, his fingers brushing my kaftan.

With burning cheeks, I lift my gaze to his, find his eyes heavy-lidded with desire. The heated thread of longing tugs at my flesh. He feels it too, because he looks at me like I am the only one in the room.

"I am betrothed to Luigi della Scala." My confession tumbles out.

"My deepest sympathies." His lips twitch as though suppressing a grin.

I scan the crowd. "Aunt Erzsébet will see us together. She's already chastised me. She knows you sent the letter."

Vlad Dracula drags a finger across his full bottom lip. "Do you think I am afraid of an old woman?"

"Of course not but—"

"Are you afraid of her?"

I square my shoulders. "I prefer avoiding her wrath."

"Dance with me." Vlad's voice is a challenge.

"You know I cannot." I scan the crowd in search of Aunt Erzsébet.

Behind the mask, his eyes glimmer with amusement. "At Visegrád you appeared a maiden of courage and intelligence."

"My aunt..." My chin drops and I shake my head.