29

VLAD

Summer 1455

Hunyadi's castle in Hunedoara, Transylvania

Vlad Dracula relished strategy meetings. They were more delicious than the finest wine. Especially when it involved talking with cunning strategists like John Hunyadi, János Vitéz, Mihály Szilágy, Hunyadi's eldest son, and Vlad's cousin Stephen.

Hunyadi waved the first letter from the stack in front of him. "This one is a plea for help from the mayor of Sibiu."

"I received the same request," says Mihály Szilágy, a handsome man with a cleft in his chin, an aquiline nose, kind eyes, and thick bushy hair.

"The mayor is an alarmist." János Vitéz crossed his arms. "Mehmed will attack Belgrade before taking Sibiu."

Dracula winced at János Vitéz nonchalance and swallowed the sharp rebuke on the tip of his tongue in favor of a more diplomatic approach. "You're right, however, the mayor's fear is valid. Turkish spies pretending to be merchants have already infiltrated many Wallachian towns."

"They gather intelligence in preparation for an attack," said Stephen, sporting a thin blonde mustache since Vlad last saw him.

"These letters are much the same." Hunyadi fanned out the missives. "And thanks to Vlad's spies we know Dăneşti threw his lot with our enemy and cowers under Sultan Mehmed's robes." Hunyadi pushed two letters toward Vlad. "Letters from the mayors of Făgăras and Amlaş. Dăneşti seized control."

Beneath Dracula's calm veneer, his muscles rippled with rage. "Those fiefdoms are mine by birthright." His voice dripped vengeance. "We must stop Mehmed and Dăneşti."

"We will take care of Mehmed." Hunyadi pointed his finger at Dracula. "You get to do as you like to Dăneşti."

"It will be an honor." Dracula's wolfish grin was so chilling cousin Stephen shuddered.

While Dracula explained the disadvantages of Mehmed's siege engines, Matthias, Hunyadi's chubby twelve-year-old son, slunk into the chamber. He stretched out on a wooden bench, by turns yawning or fidgeting.

By the time the sun disappeared behind the horizon all was decided. Hunyadi's eldest would lead the fight in Croatia. Mihály Szilágy would enlist the Serbs in Belgrade. Stephen would accompany Hunyadi.

And Prince Vlad was given free rein to stop Dăneşti any way he saw fit.

#

July , 1456

Forest near Tîrgovişte

"The comet that blazed across the sky last month heralds a great victory for you," said the astrologer to Dracula and his assembled advisors.

Dracula balled his fists. He had waited six long years to confront his father's murderer. He was ready, had more skill, shrewdness, military might, and allies than ever before. His mouth watered thinking about the sweet taste of revenge. His cock stiffened as he imagined thrusting a sword through Dăneşti's traitorous heart.

A ruddy-cheeked young scout, huffing and puffing, ran into the tent.

"Well?" Dracula looked up from the map of Tîrgovişte.

"Your trick was a success, my lord."

"Good." Dracula nodded, his chest expanding with pride.

"It was a brilliant plan, my lord," said a boyar with a face like a bull and the brawn of a bear.