13

VLAD

Spring 1443

Sultan's Palace in Edirne, Anatolia

"He's a pasha, right?" Vlad turned to the guard after a man in a tall broad turban, silk robe, and matching shoes strolled by.

The guard grunted yes.

Vlad stood a little taller. "Is the man in the green robe an aga?"

"You're a quick learner."

Vlad's lips pressed into a satisfied smile. It had been less than a week since he and Radu had been transferred from the stone fortress in Egrigöz to the sultan's palace in Edirne. In that time Vlad learned to differentiate between the various kaftans and turbans. Knowing a musti from an aga from a pasha was not easy. The sultan's palace was a hive of activity surrounded by military headquarters, officer lodgings, and imperial residences.

"If only the sultan was as quick about bringing us to our father," Vlad mumbled under his breath.

"I heard that." The guard scowled. "You want my scimitar across your insolent little throat?"

Vlad slunk back against the wall.

On the seventh day, two guards escorted Radu and Vlad through the white marble halls and crimson-tiled rooms to a large chamber filled with boys and books.

An elegantly attired boy rose from a silk cushion. "We've been waiting for you."

Vlad bowed. "I am—"

"You are Vlad and Radu, sons of Vlad Dracul, Prince of Wallachia." The boy embraced Vlad like a brother. "I am Mehmed Celibi, future sultan and ruler of the world."

Ruler of the world...

Vlad's eyes grew wide. One day, this boy would demand a ten-thousand-ducat tribute, abduct Wallachian boys, pillage Wallachian villages, slaughter men, and rape women.

The thirteen-year-old Vlad swallowed the sourness rising in his throat. "We are honored to be your guests and look forward to seeing our father."

"He will arrive shortly." Mehmed looked down his nose with a superior smirk.

"I miss Father." Radu, speaking Romanian, huddled close to Vlad. "I want to go home."

Mehmed laid his hand on Radu's shoulder. "How old are you?"

"Eight years," he whispered and shuffled behind Vlad.

Mehmed turned his attention to Vlad. "Did you enjoy your visit to Egrigöz?"

"Very much." Vlad met Mehmed's false smile with one of his own. "We are indebted to the sultan's...hospitality."

"I like this castle better." Radu peeked around Vlad. "It's beautiful."

"All our palaces are beautiful in their own way." Mehmed spread his arms wide. "We have the finest builders, artists, craftsmen, and scholars in the world."

Radu came out from behind Vlad. "Can I see the harem?"

"You are too young to enjoy its pleasures." Mehmed stroked Radu's cheek. "But one day, oh, how the women will fawn over your sweet face."

One day? Vlad winced, unsure if he heard correctly.

Mehmed's eyes lit up. "Father!"

Vlad and Radu spun about. Their own beloved father strode into the room with Sultan Murad. Vlad Dracul, looking like a Turk in a white turban, loose gown, and robe, opened his arms.