What Does It Take To Be Fickle-Minded

WHAT
DOES
FICKLE
MINDED
EVEN
MEAN

Okay, nevermind. It means "someone likely to change". But I'm still pissed off why they call this goddess as fickle-minded.

Here we have Anitun Tabu (a-nee-toon ta-boo), Dumakulem's sister, daughter of Idiyanale and Dimangan. She's always said to be fickle-minded, for some fucking reason unknown to me. She's also the goddess of wind and rain.

I don't know what you guys calls it, but in the Philippines it's called "ambon" (am-bon), which is very light rain. I'm gonna assume that you call it sunny showers, because 1) that's the word I've repeatedly found while researching about her, 2) sunny because there's sun while it's happening, shower because it's raining, and 3) it sounds hella cute.

Those sunny showers became a good time for getting married because it symbolizes Anitun Tabu being happy. If it's stormy, then Anitun Tabu is angry. Let me insert this situation.

Anitun Tabu: *on her period and is having bad cramps* Agh! *Really bad torms occur unconsciously as a result*

Dumakulem: *frantically creates mountains everywhere while trying to comfort his sister and ease her pain with freshly offered cacao tablets melted to hot chocolate with Apolaki's support*

End scene. I like this one, it's cute. Besides, a drizzle of rain while finally marrying the partner you love is also a bit romantic, right?

But of course, we can't have a happy ending right? Here comes the Spaniards, demonizing shit once again.

Trying to wipe away ancient Tagalogs gods in replacement of Christianity, when there's a sunny shower, a man and a supernatural being (creature, monster, or demon) and being wed (KaraMia reference for you Filipinos). It's either that or two supernatural beings being wed. Fun fact, that belief is incredulously being passed on until now. I remember being told that myself.

Consequently, Anitun Tabu was also known to be the mediator or warring/fighting demons, because her sunny showers bring peace and is apparently also a peace pact between two parties.

Now we have some additional information that isn't much useful. It's from West Luzon and the Sambals (remember them?). Apparently they believed that Anitun Tabu was a male deity, in the name of Aniton Tauo, which I also do not know how to pronounce. (A-nee-ton ta-wo? I DON'T KNOW). In their myth, Aniton Tauo was so full of himself that Malayari (Mayari's male version), punished him out of annoyance and supremacy. I think that Malayari's the ruler there. How did that happen you ask? We're nearing Apolaki's chapter so just you wait. How was he punished? I don't know too. Maybe he just got a good scolding and is now his assistant.

(Reminder, gender fluidity is a thing and was easily accepted back then)

Back to female Anitun Tabu, she's often offered pinipig (pee-nee-peeg) or pounded young rice grains. Yes I also too like pinipig especially in ice creams. The rituals done to give her offerings are called "mamiarag" (ma-mee-a-rag) which doesn't have a meaning, apparently? Her emblems are sunny showers.

For the sake of my sanity, please help me understand how the fuck did they call her fickle-minded? I mean, why????? What did she every do to y'all????????