Shadow of a Reflection

"What do you think, Manon?" Radelle asked, turning to her daughter with a proud smile.

Manon stared around at the grand ballroom. She had been there multiple times in the past for any number of celebrations and events, but she honestly didn't think she'd ever walked across the marble tiled floor while the massive room was empty. Her heels clicked against the stone, but the sound was lost through the open pane glass doors leading into one of the palace garden terraces. The crystal chandelier overhead was covered with a tarp to protect it from dust, but she could still see the marvelous ceiling fresco behind it depicting heavenly images.

Her mother had met her in her room this morning - right when she was about to resume her search for the map Addie had set her to finding - and said she wanted to show her something. To hide the welts on her body as well as the knives on her arms, Manon had taken to wearing only loose, long sleeved dresses that had high necklines and long skirts. It made her look rather conservative in style, but it was more for functionality than attractiveness.

Manon hadn't asked where they were going, not wanting to ruin the surprise her mother was clearly planning, so now she was only confused to turn around in the empty grand ballroom.

The doors to the outside had been opened to the let the room air out. It hadn't been used since Lady Paladin Colette's wedding. The parties that had been held in the palace since had all taken place in one of the smaller ballrooms. To get fresh air inside, the doors had been propped open. Someone had already taken a broom through, but no one had wiped down the windows yet.

"It's pretty big when there's no one here," Manon finally said in response to her mother's question, turning to face her, looking away from the balcony where a band would play.

Radelle nodded, chuckling softly. "Yes, it really is. The first time I ever saw this room was the day that I married your father. It's... still as overwhelming now as it was then."

Manon turned out again, trying to see the room through the eyes of someone who might never have been here before. That was part of being raised in the palace, though; she was accustomed to all of this splendor and decadence.

That was probably why Addie wanted to train it out of her, she thought. She had to be careful when she moved because the rough sliding of the fabric against the welts on her body burned, but she was learning how to control the pain. She was still suffering from the gut twisting nausea of the poison she ingested, but she could fake as if she wasn't and stand tall and not vomit on the pristine marble floor.

The grand ballroom was the same, but she was like a wholly different person since the last time she came through here. It was a strange feeling.

Radelle turned, taking Manon's shoulder and pulling her eyes back to her. "Soon, my love, you will stand here and become a woman, a proper princess of the country. And I have never been so proud of you."

Manon chuckled. "That's really not a high bar to meet."

The queen leaned in, kissing her forehead. "True, but it is still so. You are becoming a marvelous young woman, and I feel as though it was just yesterday that you were only a babe in my arms."

"Mother..." Manon mumbled, turning her head in embarrassment.

"You can hide from me, but that won't change anything." Radelle pushed her hair to the side so she could see her profile. "I cannot know what plan the Lord has in place for your life, but I cannot think you are so strong willed and independent for no reason."

Manon sighed, turning her eyes down. "I... I'm afraid that there's not going to be anything in my life except marrying well and settling down."

"And what is wrong with that? It's exactly what I did."