Chapter I - The Fateful Accident - Part II (Revised)

It had been ten days since my first walk in the Eighth Bei'Le's garden.

Though the Residence was huge, and my bedroom was two times bigger than my real apartment, I felt trapped. I had to obtain permission from Ruo Lan whenever I wanted to venture out to the town. She said this was a prince's home, and we had to adhere to the royal etiquette.

Throughout my observation, I realized that Ruo Lan was a complacent woman. She often spent the entire day reading Buddha scriptures. The Eighth Bei'Le's Residence was segregated into several private houses, where the prince and each of his concubines stayed in individually. I hadn't even seen the tip of his nose during my stay. I couldn't help but wonder what he would look like. I tried to convince Ruo Lan into talking more about him, but she would just ignore me and continue her meditation. It seemed that the prince didn't hold a high position in her heart.

Unlike Ruo Lan, I couldn't focus on reading all those tiny scriptures, even though I didn't need my glasses now. Luckily, I was still allowed to roam around the Residence. It was a fine morning I woke up to, so I dragged Qiao Hui to stroll with me in the garden.

Magpies twittered from the plum trees. The birds were wearing black coats from their heads to their backs, with white blazers adorning their chests. Blue metallic feathers shone from the tips of their wings and glistened from their tails. Bamboo groves surrounded a lotus pond, which was bigger than the entire building compound of the residence I stayed in -- in the Millennium Era. A pagoda was assembled in the middle of the pond. Bridge with white granite handrails connected the pagoda to the cobblestone path where I was standing on now. Stone lion heads were built along the rails of the bridge. Water spat out of their mouths, creating a scene to behold.

I stared down and looked at myself. The plum coloured gown which I dressed in stuck to my skin. Despite the silk layers, I felt hot. I recalled that I almost fell due to the fillet's weight when Qiao Hui put it in my hair for the first time. Thank the gods that I didn't have silk tassels hanging down from my fillet, as only those that were married to the princes would have that status differentiation. Who knew how much those tassels would weigh and burden my head?

Standing beside the pond, I stretched out my hands and then bent my body. "One, two, three, four. Two, two, three, four. Three, two, three, four."

"May I ask what you are doing, Second Miss?" Qiao Hui looked at me inquisitively. Her moonish face and beady eyes made her look comical every time she asked a question.

"Oh, I'm exercising." I completed my routine and held Qiao Hui's hand. I had been here for ten days, but I still didn't know who Ruo Xi was. Perhaps if I got to know her better, I could force our souls out of our heads. "Qiao Hui, let me test you with a quiz."

"A quiz? May I ask what is a quiz, Second Miss?"

"It is a very simple game. I will ask you questions and you answer me." Qiao Hui nodded eagerly and I began, "First, what does my father like to eat?"

"Roasted duck."

"What does he like to drink?"

"Horse milk wine." She hopped on the path like a bunny expecting a carrot treat.

I smiled at her. She looked so innocent. I was certain that she didn't know my ploy so I continued, "What about my sister?"

"Chrysanthemum cake."

"What about me?"

"Chestnut cake!" She squealed in glee, sending the magpies to scatter around in the sky.

"Great memory." I patted her back and thought, Great, chestnut cake. I shall eat a lot of chestnut cakes starting from today. I grinned wide at my new discovery and stopped. This wasn't scientifically proven. Plus the collision happened to my head, not my stomach. But I had to try.

"I need to go back! I need to go back!" Out of frustration, I mumbled aloud.

"Second Miss, is everything fine?" 

I nodded to mask my awkwardness.

Qiao Hui continued, still frowning, "Let us go to the dining hall for the morning tea session. Madam is waiting for us there."

Ruo Lan welcomed me with her usual complacent smile. After I had sat down, she held my hand and applied lotion on my skin. The servants brought forth a plate of cube-sized pink cakes.

"Try this. The pink takes after the flesh of the dates, and I ordered the servants to blend some Bird Nest in each of the cake. It is very nourishing," Ruo Lan said.

Bird Nest? It was a precious which all women would love to put into their mouths. I grabbed the cake and just when I was about to put it into my mouth, I stole a look at Ruo Lan. Was it appropriate to eat first? Her status was higher than mine. Gingerly, I put down the chopsticks.

Ruo Lan smiled. "Back in the Northwest, you used to be a robust lady who could never sit still for more than five minutes. You enjoyed running around the vast land like a horse without a rein. Father always said that though he is a General, he can never control your behaviour, and you always disobey our stepmother. Luckily, you are still willing to listen to me. That was why he sent you here, hoping that I can educate you for the Maiden Selection."

"Maiden Selection?" I gasped in shock.

Ruo Lan smiled again. "Indeed, ladies who reach sixteen will be summoned to enter the emperor's palace for the Maiden Selection. I am glad that we still have twelve months to train you. I believe you will behave well when the time comes."

The ruthless Maiden Selection? No way! It happened once in every three years. Maidens that had earned favoritism from the emperor would become his consorts; while those that weren't chosen would become maidservants in the palace. They could be released several years later and could regain their freedom. However, the precious youth of those women would be scraped away by then. Such was the fate of the women back in those years.

No, I don't want to enter the emperor's palace! The name of the Forbidden City wasn't created for no reason. It meant that the emperor was the only one who gained the authority to give permission to anyone, either to enter or exit the palace. What if I was selected and could never come out? There were tonnes of tales recorded in history that those who entered the palace committed suicide because they missed their free lives outside. No, I don't want to die here. I can't waste my time here any longer. This place doesn't belong to me. I need to get my soul back. Quickly, I gulped down the cake. Somehow, I didn't feel nourished.

After the tea session was over, I requested Qiao Hui to bring me to the place where Ruo Xi had fallen down. She was reluctant at first, afraid that the horrible memory would make me go berserk again. Only when I had assured her that I had fully recovered did she agree.

She brought me to the North House where the Eighth Bei'Le's first wife stayed in. Gingerly, she pointed to three flights of stairs before us. They were constructed in a steep and narrow way, covered in a red carpet. "This is where the accident occurred, Second Miss."

"Were you present that time?"

"No, Second Miss, but Gorolo Ming Yu was here. She said you fell by yourself."

I nodded and walked up to the stairs.

Gorolo Ming Yu... She was the first wife's younger sister and was a pest to the eye. Her mother was a cousin to the empress, and her grandfather contributed to the founding of the kingdom. Was she the one who was responsible for the accident? Standing on the top flight of stairs, a turbulent of doubts churned up in my mind. If I fell from here, would I get my soul back? If I returned to the year 2014, would my real self still be alive? Or would I be in a coma? Being hit by a mad spark-spitting wire was no joke. But if I didn't try, I would never know. Standing on the dais, I stretched my hands to the side and took a step forward.

The U-shaped platforms of my shoes threatened to push me down the stairs. Gingerly, I took another step forward. Closing my eyes, I challenged, Alright, let's do this again.

Edited by YvonneKindle