Chapter V - The Tea Maiden - Part II - (Revised)

Not long after the tea spilling incident, the emperor decided to visit Mongolia to discuss some state affairs, apart from fostering their mutual relationship. While he was away, the Eighth Bei'Le was assigned to handle all the businesses in the palace. I believed this was the Crowned Prince's idea. He couldn't wait for the Eighth Bei'Le to commit mistakes so that he could punish him severely. Though I was worried about the Eighth Bei'Le, I didn't dare meddle in their politics.

Herald Lee visited me one morning, telling me that I was allowed to accompany the emperor to Mongolia. Two of my subordinates were granted the trip too. We cheered at the news as it had been long since we were out. While I was plucking peony petals in the garden, I saw Ice Face striding towards me. We hadn't seen each other since our last conversation. My fear and caution towards him rose as I saw his stern face. Quickly, I walked in the other direction. 

My luck couldn't be worse when Die Hard Thirteen appeared from the other path. 

"Ma'ertai Ruo Xi!" Ice Face called out. "Why did you run away upon seeing me?"

Damn it! "Uhm, I was thinking of how to decorate the tea with the flower petals. I didn't notice--"

"Ruo Xi," Die Hard Thirteen chimed in, "You should thank Fourth Brother. He was the one who had suggested to Father to bring you along to Mongolia." 

"Thanks," I bowed halfheartedly at Ice Face. "If Fourth Prince and Thirteenth Prince don't have any errands for me, I shall excuse myself." I prepared to turn around when Ice Face halted me.

"Wait!" His expression softened as he saw me cringing in anxiety. "The wild cannot be compared to the luxury in the palace. Bring more tea leaves. Divide the bulk for two trips to prevent any unforeseen circumstances. There are lots of bandits in the wild."

I took a breath to cover my shock. I couldn't imagine that he could be nice to people.

Die Hard Thirteen teased his brother, "Since when did you know about tea making?"

Ice Face didn't answer, but I saw a half-smile creeping up his lips.

The parade to Mongolia took place after one week, and it took another week of traveling on horses before we reached our destination. The procession included Kang Xi Emperor, the Crowned Prince, the Fourth and the Thirteenth Prince, Herald Lee and his subordinate, my two subordinates and me, and one hundred foot soldiers.

While the emperor was resting in a tent with the princes, I brought in the tea. Months ago, I had designed some 3D flowery patterns, and Herald Lee had helped me to mold the patterns into the teacups. The emperor might be too accustomed to the same plain ceramic teacups with mere blue ink-and-wash painting, but I was a person of art. 

As I placed the respective teacups in front of them, I told them that I'd made fruit juices for them. Beaming, the emperor removed the lid of the teacup with 3D chrysanthemum design and was stunned to see the cup was actually split into two portions in a Yin-Yang design. The left half of the cup consisted of cold apple cordial, and the other half had lychee essence.

Ice Face gave me a look of appreciation as he saw me passing a teacup with 3D Mulan's flower patterns. When he removed the lid and saw the golden cordial with halved grapes in it, he nodded plainly. I could see the appraisal in his eyes, though he tried to shield it. Oh, couldn't he just show some emotions? Would it cause him to lose an inch of flesh to smile?

The emperor stroked his beard and said, "You have never stopped to amaze me, Ruo Xi. You even know our favourite flowers and tea. I have never seen a maidservant who is as detailed as you are. Tell me, what do you want as rewards?"