Chapter II - Tenth Prince's Birthday - Part II (Revised)

The Labrador lunged forward to catch its toy and knocked over Gorolo Ming Yu.

When we rushed towards her, she was sitting and kicking on the floor like a girl who had lost her Barbie doll. Her lips appeared to be two times swollen than they used to be. The Tenth Prince and I laughed out loud at how terrible she looked. Still sobbing, she glared at me with red eyes.

I pointed to the dog but looked at her. "Small animal, behave yourself the next time." With that, I stormed away with the Tenth Prince, still laughing.

Another week passed and the Tenth Prince's birthday arrived. Qiao Hui helped dress me. She held out a blue gown but I complained that it was too plain. She picked another pink gown but I whined about the light colour. After half an hour, I had finally decided on a red gown with white hems and fluorescent pink plum embroidery. Instead of putting on my normal pink eye shadow, I dusted my eyelids with pearl powder before applying dark kohl on them to make my eyes look bigger. I also applied vermilion on my lips and topped them with mineral wax to make the sheen lasting. Qiao Hui had even helped me put on more hair clips.

When all was set, I bolted to the garden with a breeze under my feet.

The garden was decorated with red banners and lanterns. A stage covered with red carpet had been set up, where a group of opera members was preparing for their play. I was asking Ruo Lan's opinion about my make-up when I sensed a hostile aura in the air. The Gorolos walked towards us, wearing a conceited expression. Gorolo Ming Hui cast a disgusted look at Ruo Lan. Without even trying, Ruo Lan gave her an unenthusiastic nod.

"Sister, I was wondering how they would adorn the place and what entertainments they would offer." Pussycat looked around before continuing, "I must say this is very disappointing."

"Apparently, the Gorolos don't know how the Eighth Bei'Le thinks," I retaliated. "The sole intention for holding this celebration is to provide the princes a heart-warming opportunity to further knit their relationship. The Eighth Bei'Le is very proud of our preparation."

Pussycat prepared to retort but was interrupted by a peal of gleeful laughter.

The princes marched into the garden, all looking joyful and vigorous. I counted. The Fourth Prince, the Eighth, the Ninth who was often found discussing secretively with the Eighth Bei'Le, the Thirteenth, the birthday boy, and a prince whom I had never met before. The elaborate designs on their garments almost blinded me. Small golden dragons flying around golden clouds were stitched throughout the cloths. Bigger Jade ornaments were clasped to their belts.

The Eighth Bei'Le introduced the newbie to me, "Ruo Xi, meet the Fourteenth Prince."

Unlike his brothers, the Fourteenth Prince had fair skin, and he stood the tallest among them all. Smiling at me, he complimented, "I had long heard from the servants that Ma'ertai Ruo Xi's beauty is no second to an angel. I must say, I do not feel cheated."

I bowed and thanked the prince for his generous words. From the corners of my eyes, I saw Pussycat pout her lips. She must've felt awful that none of the princes noticed her.

Gorolo Ming Hui approached the Eighth Bei'Le and spoke in a fake feminine voice, "Ming Hui does not feel well since this morning. Ming Hui must apologize but Ming Hui has to leave. Ming Hui wishes all the princes a pleasant day."

"Is everything alright?" asked the Eighth Bei'Le with genuine concern.

Gorolo Ming Hui assured him that she was fine before walking away with Pussycat. The fragrance of happiness permeated the air again once the Gorolos left. Not long after their departures, the princes began to chug down the milk wine, concurrently laughing at each other's jokes. I smiled at the heartfelt scene, but suddenly a vision crossed my mind. I saw them being executed by poisonous wine, driven mad, and imprisoned. My vision wasn't based on the mere figment of my imagination. It was recorded in history. It saddened me to see a great royal family being torn apart because of the fight over the king's throne.