Chapter X - The Thief Catching (Revised)

The Crowned Prince burst in with a sarcastic look. "How are you today, brother?"

"I am doing well. Please have a seat." The Eighth Bei'Le led him to the seating area. He walked past me and made eye contact with me, telling me not to fear.

"What is Ruo Xi doing here? I see that she is very close to you lately."

"Crowned Prince must have mistaken. Ruo Xi stayed at my Residence for years before she entered the Forbidden City. She is always very close to me."

The Crowned Prince didn't speak but kept surveying us from heads to toes, as if we were thieves hiding something. Tickling his nostrils, he said, "What is this smell? Someone is injured?"

I stepped forward and displayed my palms in front of him. "Ruo Xi fell from the horse just now. So, Ruo Xi comes to the Eighth Bei'Le for treatment."

The Crowned Prince studied me but I held his glare confidently. I kept affirming myself that I was Kang Xi Emperor's favourite maidservant and even though the prince was self-centred, he wouldn't dare do anything horrible to me. Luckily, the Eighth Bei'Le's servant arrived on time, bringing a set of teacups and a pot of tea. Gingerly, he served the guest first. The Crowned Prince gulped down the liquid without further arguing as he was exhausted from the search. 

When the servant walked towards the Eighth Bei'Le, he intentionally side-stepped, pouring the steaming tea on the Eighth Bei'Le's arm. A horrible scream tore from the Eighth Bei'Le's throat as he took a few steps backward. His herald dashed towards him and unfolded his sleeve to treat him. He'd instructed his herald to do so to show that his arm was clear of any wounds. When the Crowned Prince shot the arrow just now, he didn't know whom and where he'd shot. This plan was like gambling. We might stand a chance to win menial trust from him so we had to try.

After treating his master's injury, the servant instantly knelt and pleaded on the floor. He didn't need to put up an act. Genuine terror drained all colours from his face as he knew punishment was inevitable. "Please forgive me, master, please forgive me." 

"Idiot! Bring him out and punish him with ten lashes at the back," the Crowned Prince roared. 

My heart ached as we had to sacrifice the servant to rid ourselves of being suspected. 

Wearing a false smile, the Crowned Prince asked, "Are you alright, brother?"

"It is just a minor injury. Please do not worry. I will be fine after salving some medicine."

"I think this is such a coincidence, do you not bear the same thought as I do, brother? Ruo Xi was having an injury while she was riding the horse, and now it was your turn."

"Ruo Xi used to be a clumsy lady while she stayed at my Residence. I am afraid that my servants were affected by her bad behaviour and become reckless too. Please forgive them."

"We shall see." The Crowned Prince rounded the tent and picked up a book from a bedside table. 

It was folded at the middle section, in order to hint at the prince that the Eighth Bei'Le did nothing but reading the whole day. I hoped that the Crowned Prince would buy that trick. 

"You still have the interest to read while Father was occupied with the state affairs?" he asked.

"I do not dare interrupt Father's discussion with the King of Mongolia without being heralded. So I have a lot of time up my sleeves and have been reading the whole day."

"Indeed?" The Crowned Prince put the book down.

The Eighth Bei'Le grinned to affirm his answer before asking, "I heard that someone had intruded into the campsite. Has he been caught?"