Chapter VIII - Four and Eight (Revised)

I unfolded the paper airplane and dashed out of my chamber. I was in such a hurry that I didn't watch my steps and bumped into a herald whom I had never seen before. 

I stared at him, suspicion speared through my veins.

"Please do not fright, Miss Ruo Xi. I seldom walk around the palace so Miss Ruo Xi will feel unfamiliarity with me around. I am assigned to hand over this to you."

The herald left immediately after I took the red pouch. 

A wave of merriness washed over me as I brought out a necklace with a Mulan design. Smiling, I lifted it to my nose and sniffed it. Oh, it even had the fragrance of the Mulan flower. My heart blossomed as I thought of the Eighth Bei'Le, but then my heart withered as the seed of caution bloomed. Mulan... Fourth Prince! This necklace was given by him! No way!

I put it on a table and darted out.

Blocking Ice Face out of my mind, I quickened my pace. I must alert the Eighth Bei'Le before everything was too late. I must warn him that no matter what he did, he should remember that the emperor favoured the Second Prince more than anyone else. I must ask him to withdraw himself from the new Crowned Prince's candidate list. My fists tightened in determination. 

The princes often entered the palace to discuss state affairs with the emperor. If I hurried, I might be able to meet him and hand the letter to him. As I jogged along the cobbled path, someone called after me. Quickly, I hid the letter in my sleeve.

"Ruo Xi, why are you looking so pale? Look at you, panting like you had run a hundred leagues. Where are you going?" came Die Hard Thirteen's voice.

I turned around and my heart skipped a beat as I saw Ice Face as well. "Good day, Fourth Prince. Good day, Thirteenth Prince. I need to run some errands. If there's nothing that both of you need, I'd like to excuse myself."

"Wait," Ice Face said. "I wish to talk to you."

"If that is the case, I will leave both of you... for some private time." Die Hard Thirteen cast a bemused look at Ice Face before walking away, still smirking.

I hung my head low, not daring to look at Ice Face. As usual, for several seconds that seemed like an eternity, he made me suffer in my own relentless curiosity before opening his mouth.

"Father had privately met with Second Brother that day after the voodoo doll's case. What did he say?" Ice Face asked, his face devoid of any emotion.

I kept my voice bland as I answered, "I stood outside the door. I didn't hear anything."

"It was impossible that you did not hear even a word." As I made no comment, he continued, "Did you say the same thing to your brother-in-law?"

"Exactly," I replied without looking at him, though my blood began to boil with irritation. All of the princes were the same. The Eighth Bei'Le and Ice Face... All of them wanted to retrieve information from me since I was the emperor's direct servant.

Ice Face cleared his throat to capture my attention and lifted my chin up. Slowly, he approached me. As he stepped closer, I took a few steps backward. He stepped closer and closer. I bit my lip and took a few more steps backward until my heels kicked over a rock. I almost fell when he circled his hand around my waist, pulling me to his chest. My heart beat faster as our eyes fell upon each other. That unrecognizable yet familiar feeling invaded my mind again.

Unwillingly, I placed my palms on his chest to prevent him from gluing his body to me.

"You are still angry with me for what I did that night?" he whispered.