Chapter 5. Friends

Chapter 5. Friends

"Princess Cybele, Talia is here to see you," said the servant.

I tore my eyes from the book I was reading and smiled to her. "Very well," I said. "Let me see her."

The maid quickly went back to where she came from while I sat idly against the huge tree in the garden. I've always loved sitting here to read a book. The peacefulness of the place plus the sounds of birds chirping completely relaxes me. I heard footsteps on the grass and saw Talia approaching.

Though it was early morning, the sunlight touched her honey-colored hair, making her look more like a mid-summer dream than my childhood friend. She ran as she came nearer and tackled me on the grass.

"Cybele!" she shrieked in delight. "I keep pestering my parents to visit so they finally gave in." I stifled a smile. Her voice was always cute. How could it not be? She was only 6 years old while I was 10.

I blinked up at her. We were sprawled on the grass and she was practically pinning me down. The end of her beautiful hair that was styled in a half crown braid was tickling my cheek. I was enjoying it until I saw someone yank Talia away from me.

"Miss Talia, please don't do that. You might hurt the princess," scolded a servant. I frowned at her. "Leave us," I commanded. "Talia is just playing. Let us be."

"But princess," the servant objected. "Your mother the queen will get frighteningly mad if she sees you like that."

I went to a sitting position and grabbed Talia's hands away from the maid. Talia was more than happy to sit beside me on the grass. "We're just playing," I told the servant. "Besides, mother will not object because she was the one who told me to befriend Talia. Now please don't bother us. I want some alone time with her."

The servant didn't argue further. With a bow, she walked away and gave me the peace I was hoping for. Talia giggled when the maid disappeared. "What a meanie," she said in her cute voice.

"Don't mind her," I said and took a fallen leaf that has wedged itself in Talia's beautiful hair. "She's just nervous because I'm the princess."

"Yes you are," she chuckled. "And I'm going to be your bride someday."

I lowered my hands and kept it at my side. She always told me that. When I first met her when her parents presented her to me at 3 years of age, she touched my face and told me that I was beautiful and she wanted to marry me. How could that be when we were both girls?

Surely someday I would be wed to a prince that I didn't feel anything for. Talia whom I have loved dearly since I was 7 was only to be a support, a best friend. She would never ever be my bride, even if we both wanted to. But I had a plan. When I become the queen of this country after I hit the age of 21, I would change the laws so I could marry Talia.

No one would object with me since I would be the ruler. If anyone does, I'd make sure that they receive the death penalty. Talia was very important for me. I would not let anyone take her or marry her. She was mine. Her family only came in second to mine. Whilst my father and mother were the king and queen, her mother belonged to the nobles.

If mother and father were to die, or if I did, her mother would be the next queen. But that would never happen. My parents were very healthy, and I would be around for a very long time. After all, how could I marry Talia if I was dead?

"What are you reading?" she asked when she saw my book on the grass. She picked it up and scrunched her face as she tried to make sense of the words. I stared at her for a long time. She would be a very beautiful woman when we grow up. I couldn't wait when she was 18. She'd be a heartbreaker. Like the ones I read in books.